Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Suggestions on how to learn Excel formulas? 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

lcf14

Technical User
Dec 11, 2006
US
Last Friday I took a level 2 excel class that supposedly taught advanced formulas. It wasn't very helpful because it only covered a couple of items. I always try to use "help" inside of excel and that usually adds to my confusion. How can I teach myself more complicated formulas than just basic ones (i.e sum, count)? Any recommendations on a book?

Thanks

Literally dozens of examples of SUMPRODUCT / SUMIF / COUNTIF etc tha\t may help in the following thread:-

thread68-1291533

Regards
Ken..........

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[peace]It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission[2thumbsup]

Thanks Ken! I haven't had time to really try to understand the whole thread(68-1291533) but it looks like it contains alot of great information.

With everyone's help I have been able to make a big dent in the project that I'm working on and hopefully am beginning to better understand excel formulas.

Thanks Again
Lorraine

It's usefull mainly for examples of syntax and showing you how you would incorporate references / ranges / conditional counts etc into the various formulas.

Also, I'm a 110% in agreement with Skip, although sometimes I'll work from the outside in :)

I tend to build a formula with hardwired variables in it, and then gradually replace the variables with other functions one by one, until you end up with a formula with nothing hard-wired in it if possible.

One neat function is Tools / Formula Auditing / Evaluate Formula, which allows you to step through each piece of a formula and see what is/isnt working, which is very useful when you have nested formulas.

Regards
Ken...........

[peace]It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission[2thumbsup]

I do the same Ken, but with bits of the complex formula in different columns, then I can check each bit and the total.

So, eg, for an IF statment with a nested VLOOKUP, I'll evaluate the VLOOKUP in one column (and therefore get to check it) and then write the IF referencing the other column.

Once I'm happy, I can build the complex formula and check that I get the same result.

(The more I learn and the more experience I gain, the more I do this, as I still find it so helpful)

Fee

The question should be [red]Is it worth trying to do?[/red] not [blue] Can it be done?[/blue]

I'm stuck again! With all of your help I feel like I should be able to figure it out but so far I can't. This formula works:

=MEDIAN(IF(disc="y",IF(obj="equ",total,""),""))

but now I need to add one more criteria (tax="tax").

Thanks in advance for your help.
Lorraine (aka Lo)

I think you are looking for this:
=MEDIAN(IF(disc="y",IF(obj="equ",total,If(tax="tax",total,""),""))

But this is easier to follow if there are indeed only two possible results: Median(total) or Median("")

=median(if(and(disc="y",obj="equ",tax="tax"),total,"")

Gavin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back