Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Suggestions on Approach to Making a Time Booking Sheet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ads

Programmer
May 29, 2001
CA
Hi,

I am making a program for a Tanning Salon where appointments are taken for the 12 available tanning beds at 15 minute increments.

I want the GUI to look like the paper booking sheets they are already using. It seems logical to replicate the booking sheet using excel... but would it be wiser to use a table in my already connected database instead.

I also have a ocx autocomplete combobox control that holds all of the customers and would like that functionality on the booking sheet.

I'm perplexed. I've been programming for years, and I thought this part of the project would be the easiest to complete and it has proven to be the most eluding. It seems like I need a two-dimesional database table or a well controlled excel sheet.

Please help... Here's a rough visual

----------->Bed 1, Bed 2, Bed 3, etc...
|
|10:00 Doe, John
|
|10:15 Smith, Jane
|
|10:30
\/

Use a MSFlexgrid control with 1 fixed row for Bed numbers and 1 fixed column for times. You can use the techniques in faq222-3262 to overlay your custom control on the grid when required.

'If we're supposed to work in Hex, why have we only got A fingers?'

I guess my question then is how do I structure the database table that the flex grid connects to. I can have a table with each "Bed Number" as a field... that will put the Bed Numbers across the top of the flex grid. However, how do I get the "Bed Times" to populate down the left side of the grid. Hmmm... my brain hurts...

You'll probably have to do it in unbound mode. Set the left column as fixed, with the time slots entered programmatically using the Flexgrid TextMatrix property.

Then query the database once for each timeslot, filling the appropriate row with the data returned.

'If we're supposed to work in Hex, why have we only got A fingers?'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back