Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Suggestions for Redundancy 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJAX

MIS
Aug 19, 2003
US
All,

Hoping some of you can provide me with some suggestions.

I have a new client with a single IP Office v500 v2. Single PRI coming in.

The client is having some major issues with their telecom provider and the PRI keeps dropping. When that happens, they lose their phones. Anyone calling into the office gets a message "you're call cannot be completed at this time"..needless to say, it's bad for business.

What can they add (if anything) to the IP Office so in the event the PRI drops, they can still make and receive calls? I am in the process of getting them out of their current contract, but moving forward, I think they should have some type of redundancy. It's a relatively small company, so there is a limit to what they can spend.

Thanks in advance!
Jax

you don't need redundancy on a PRI if you have a good provider. Your uptime should be 99.99%. who is the provider?

Switch providers ASAP, especially if its a small provider without the backbone needed. Is the PRI being delivered via an IAD or something similar?

In our market the Telcos offers failover to a POTS line (only on their own network for one and to any other number including mobiles for another) for incoming calls to the main number. Maybe this provider offers the same thing?

- Qz

some providers offer forms of emergency call completion (all calls on the PRI go to a single number). Others offer a feature where customers can themselves redirect calls to certain numbers to predetermined numbers... this latter feature is used to line failure, but can also be used for redirecting calls due to call volume as an example.

All of this implies that there is another form of trunk/line on the IPO (another PRI with another provider, SIP, analog rotary, etc.)

GB

We have multiple customers that use failover of a PRI onto SIP and then to another SIP from there in a different location and from there onto another SIP trunk in case the entire system is down.
One customer has actually EVERY DID routed to a failover DID and then again to another DID.
Not having downtime is possible but has to be paid for

Joe W.

FHandw, ACSS (SME)

"This is the end of the world, make sure to buy your T-shirt before it is too late"
Original expression of my daughter

Apart from fix the PRI (its usually mega) it might be worth asking them if its really PRI. Theres a lot of analog, BRI, PRI these days thats actual SIP and thats then converted to PRI. If so it might be worth trying pure SIP without the conversion box that they put in somewhere.

Stuck in a never ending cycle of file copying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back