Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Suggestions for Accpac on slow internet with high latency 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnhugh

Technical User
Mar 24, 2010
SG
Hi,

What options does Sage provide for running Accpac over a slow WAN link with high latency (250ms)?
We currently use RDP but it's just too slow.
Is the web interface worth implementing in the latest version?

Is anyone using Accpac with Citrix XenApp? Is XenApp faster then RDP?
What about 3rd party RDP compression tools?

Can Accpac be set up for merge replication, i.e. 2 sites working on the same data simultaneously? (I think I know the answer to that one)

Running multiple local databases and export/import them into a consolidation database is not an option unfortunately.

Thanks for any advice.

Terminal Server/Citrix is the only way to go. Forget about web deployment - it is far too slow and not intended for WAN deployment.

Sage 300 ERP Certified Consultant

So you're saying you are using Terminal Server (RDP)?
If it is slow then your terminal server hardware is not beefy enough, throw more resources at it.

Thanks ettienne.
Anybody used XenApp or any other 3rd party RDP compression tools?

No, because they're not necessary. If your RDP is slow, it's not configured correctly.

We use XenApp for hosted sites - we host servers for clients running Sage 300. It does what RDP does but only in a different manner. There are no magical powers in XenApp, you still use the same connection and bandwidth.
What specifically is slow? Everything or just printing? We found printing Sage 300 reports can be real slow and it depends a lot on printer drivers. Using some 3rd party software like Black Ice or even Google cloud printing helps in some cases, or printing to a mapped printer - although in your case that will not be a viable option. But that is something you will have to explore and see what works in your environment.

Thanks.
Access and printing is slow.
Users are located in Mauritius and the server is located in Australia.
Hardware upgrades might improve it somewhat but would only be marginally I reckon.

Apparently RDP 8 has WAN optimization built in.
Does Accpac 6 run on MS Server 2012 or is it only supported for 6.2?

With high latency check your QoS settings, set RDP with the highest priority. What else are you running over that connection? Voice, data, etc ???

Make sure EVERYTHING related to Accpac is on that RDP server. NOTHING can be used over the WAN, like shared drives.

Voice and data are using a 2nd link, although users could access data from the RDP server.

Does Accpac 6 work with SQL 2012 Standard also?
What is best practice?
Run the DB on a seperate machine or on the RDP server as well?
According to the above, everything should be on the RDP server. I assume that's the DB as well?
DB in our case is 42GB.

If the DB is on a _LAN_ connection, i.e., 1 GBPS or higher, then RDP and SQL can be separate.

At 42GB I would say the RDP and SQL servers should be separate. If they are on the same server then you will run into resource issues - depending on how many RDP users and what they are doing, modules used etc. Too many unknowns here...

How many concurrent users. What's the actual bandwidth of the link between the remote and server sites?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back