Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

suggestions about backing up IIS on server 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookouri

IS-IT--Management
Feb 23, 2000
US
Can anybody tell me about their backup strategy for IIS?

I'm trying to come up with a good backup plan to make backups of my IIS configuration and all the web sites on my web server so that I could quickly recover them onto a new server if I had a catastrophic failure of the live web server? With only one or two mostly static web sites I've just been backing up the directory, but I'm having to do more and more tweaking to successfully run scripts,.asp and .php etc. I've got one web site/server that took days of tweaking to finally get all the security settings so that everything works, and if it failed I need to get it back up and running quick not over several days.

Does the msbackup system state backup contain everything I would need? IIS itself has a backup/restore configuration in IIS manager, and it has a save configuration to disk option, but does anybody know what bits are saved this way compared to the system state backup?

I can find references on some of these things, but I'm more interested in real examples of what people are actually doing to backup their sites.

any suggestions would be appreciated

thanks ill take a look at that. What I havnt figured out is where that iis manager physically stores those backups. They dont seem to be file system files..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back