Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Suggestion for tracking downloaders, people who purchase software, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

csutton

Programmer
Dec 27, 2000
US
I'mm not sure where to post this but since I'm developing in VB.NET I'd start here :)

Anyway, I'm just starting out a new software company and began releasing my software product. I'm trying to figure out how other companies track people downloading their trials, and sending a reminder email after a couple of days to say "Hey, we saw you download, any questions?" etc...

I figure a lot of people use an internal system, but is there any low cost ready-made solutions out there?

My website is based on Joomla and have a form for people downloading the trial to fill out, but that's about it.

Thanks,
Chris

~~ Chris ~~

That is really about it. Save the data to a database if you don't already then create a mailer program that just goes through maybe once a week and anyone who hasn't actually bought a product in the last 15/30 days and email them. The expect to promptly be blocked by 50% of the people you sent emails to. I really hope you are tracking those that request product emails vs those that don't. It doesn't help to look bad to potential customers by spamming them with emails they don't want.

I really wouldn't suggest emailing them in a couple days. High pressure sales only works when it is easy not to ignore you. Most people now know what a block senders list is. At most you might warn them that a one time product download email will be sent to them and then you could give them various links to support/feedback/etc options or whatever else you might want in the email.

-I hate Microsoft!
-Forever and always forward.
-My kingdom for a edit button!

Sorwen, thank you for your insight.

Any suggestions on a customer-management solution to track customers, licenses purchased, etc. I'd hate to recreate the wheel there, but can't really find much to track customers for software developers.

Thanks,
chris

~~ Chris ~~

There are all kinds of management softwares, but personally I tend to make my own because I then get exactly what I want and I'm not paying a lot of money to someone else for it. I then have the option of upgrading what I want as needed. It comes down to how much money you have vs time in making your own.

The basis of almost any management software is going to be some sort of data tables. You are then paying for all of the various hooks they create. Does it have some type of web component, does it link into some type of ticket system, etc. Often some of these systems come from their need to have one and then the sell it.

I haven't used any so I can't really suggest one. You might check what free options are there and build the additional you need off one.

-I hate Microsoft!
-Forever and always forward.
-My kingdom for a edit button!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back