Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Suggested Front End Reporting Tool?

Status
Not open for further replies.

goofpod

IS-IT--Management
Nov 12, 2002
US
Well.... we're running Vision Point 9.0 (pre-windows) and I have been asked to provide better, more extensive reports. Does anyone have any experience putting Crystal Reports or something similar on the front end of version 9.0?

OR... how about an ODBC connection from Excel or Access? I admit to having virtually no experience with Vision Point.

The alternative (down the road) is to migrate to something developed closer to the turn of THIS century... But, we have a LOT of custom code in place (of course) and new packages are EXPENSIVE! Another inexpensive band-aid approach would be accepted...

Thanks!!

~Goof %-)

Ralph Haney MCSE

CRYSTAL REPORTS... Absolutely fantastic Reporting Capabilities w/ SBT data. I have worked w/ this for years and can let you know all you need.

Get Version 7, 8, 8.5 or maybe 9 off of Ebay. I have found 8 is the best "value" vis a vis price and performance.

You can even share this on the Web (get one w/ the Web Server intact -- 8 is faster than 7, but 9 may have "restrictions" in terms of users.. not sure.

Set up an ODBC source, then point at it in Crystal...
My problem is I make too many reports but as such I don't use SBT's reports too often.
hope this helps.
Landis

Thanks for the info, Landis. The good news is that we're likely upgrading to a newer Windows-based version in the near future. I've finally convinced the powers-that-be to spend the money to GROW. Took a good bit of convincing...

[thumbsup2]

Ralph Haney MCSE

Before you upgrade to a windows version try this combination

Put the old dos style software on new hardware running dos 7000 (IBM) use either Novell or the dos like networking in MS windows server anything..heck we even have ehard that someowne wrote a tcip client for Linux and dos workstations.

Use that tie up for your data entry data gathering in one part of your office. Then at a different part of your network put a win 2k running crystal reports for the analysis.

Your get much more reliablity with this confirguration

the extra cost of New Machines are a darn sight cheaper, even when scattered around in abundance, and using them for specific purposes, then getting lost down the very expensive 100% WIN rathole. OK you might get some operators that want the windows interface for what is really a production line functin (entering data), but too bad

Worked for us, and since we are a small family owned financial instituion that has to run its accouting systems 27 X 7 X 365 or pay fines, it cut our costs two ways, 1) fines dropped to zero 2) disgustingly complex MS workstations issues and the costs thereof dropped close to zero,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back