Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

suggest linux distribution for network monitoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilpadrino

MIS
Feb 14, 2001
US
I would like to replace our current network monitor/analysis box with a new rack-mount server. Can someone suggest hardware and a good distribution for these programs or similar:

nagios
syslog
snort/acid
rrdtool/mrtg

If you have recommendations for better tools than I use, I'm all ears!

Thanks in advance.
Joe.

I have similar programs on a Dell 2850 with an RHEL-equivalent distribution. The hardware required will depend largely on the size of your environment. In my case, Nagios is monitoring about 400 services on 90 hosts with a frequency of 30sec - 1 hour.

Is RHEL not a free distribution? Or maybe I should ask what you mean by RHEL-equivalent. I was hoping for something free. I've been using debian, but their packaging system is never current. Would prefer one that works with rpm's. Tried fedora, and couldn't get a simple scsi adapter recognized. Didn't like suse, which is difficult to obtain anyway.

I've been using Fedora since the first release and I like it a lot. Core 4 has lots of extras and is very well maintained. Most of what you're looking for is in the core distribution.

They are also extremely well supported by the RPMForge project, which provides a wealth of software in version specific RPMs.

RHEL is not free. There are several redistributions: CentOS, Whitebox, Scientific, Tao to name a few. I use CentOS myself on a few non-critical systems while RHEL gets installed on the critical production ones.

I woudn't trust my critical production systems more to RHEL than I would to any other distribution.

well, ask yourself what distro(s) you are the most comfortable with right now and go from there. personally i think a distro with a good package manager like gentoo or debian would be good choices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back