Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Suggest Avaya server/gateway 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RazorbackHog

Programmer
Oct 28, 2000
US
Hi,

We are about to setup a new company with approximately 150 endpoints. We hope to be mostly digital phones with several fax machines and modem lines. We need to be able to route our incoming calls and setup up at least one ACD group. We need this to be very cost effective and expandable. Someone mentioned a Prologic system but I can't find much information. Are they discontinued? What replaced it? Any recommendations would be appreciated. I would rather not have to rely solely on the sales people to sell us down the road. Also would prefer rack mounted.

Thanks.

Any rack mounted system will be an "S" processor, not Prologic. I know some BP's who still sell the Prologic brand new with the latest(that is allowed) and gretest CM software, but Avaya and other BP's will try and sell you a rack mounted system and probably try and talk you into IP phones(because of the amount of end points).

T

Heres a start:

S8500 with BCMS & Intuity LX...

The server & gateways are rack mountable. The Intuity of course is a PC shaped box, so that could sit anywhere.

For 150+ users you'd be looking between $60-$80k... Depending on set types, # of users, ACD work etc... The system is very scalable.

Hope this helps a little.

Thanks,
CJH

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. ARISTOTLE 384-322 B.C.

Helps a lot. What about the smaller "S" servers like the S8100 and S8300? We probably aren't going to have those 150 endpoints anytime soon, probably more likely around 100 but want to make sure we can scale it up. I've read a few posts that doesn't sound too favorable about the S8100. Don't some of those have built in Intuity LX? I also don't think our current network there is going to be ready for IP, so probably going to be all wired.

Thanks.

S8300 has a build in LX but its not handy to use this gateway for digital phones cause of its lack on expansionports. There are only 4 ports available of which the first one is the S8300. The DCP cards have 8 ports each, that gives you only 24 DCP ports. I Also suggest a G650 gateway but i would place an S8400 as processor.

I don't think the S8100 is sold any more. Is it? I have some S8300's. Some with G350 and some with G700 Gateways. The G350 is really small. Good for an office of 20 or less. Not much room to expand there. The G700 is more expandable, but each carrier can only hold like 4 cards and the carrier is expensive.

You are probably better off with the S8500. The Intuity audix LX is a great little VM and not very expensive.

The problem with the small S servers(8300, 8100) are the gateways for the digital phones. a g350 and g700 are scaleable but you will need a few to match the 100 endpoints. 98Converter has the right idea with an S8500 and some g650's for the boards. Very easy to scale up or down and can use some of the existing boards out there(refurb).

The s8300 and S8100 has a module for voicemail in the gateway but not easily scaleable

T

Is it then cheaper if going IP just because you don't have to have so much gateway equipment? If I were to go all IP except for the analog lines, would that change your suggestions?

I think the cheapest, most scalable, cost effective would be the s8500. The s8300 would be slightly less scaleable and slighly more expensive via IP and much less scaleable and more expensive via digital. s8500 gives you plenty of config options to determine what suits you best.

-CL

RazorbackHog,

all wrong. the most cost effective solution will be new s8400 media server with g650 media gateway.
1. it's cheap (the platform itself), can be compared to prologix.
2. user licenses are sold in bundles of 50, 100 and 200 users with VERY affordable prices, believe me.
3. you can run intuity ia770 (the same as on s8300) voice mail in the same box, it will need one medpro board.
4. it is expandable up to 900 users and 400 trunks. way more than is needed.
5. unlike csi (prologix), it's not going out of sale in next two years.

the only disadvantage i see is s8400 is VERY new, it has gone GA only half a month ago. so there may be some problems with it.

avayafreakje,

sorry, missed this part. :) have a star. :p

Thanks dwalin,

We are apparently looking for something in the Prologic category. They are actually looking for a used system. I would much prefer to go with the newer rack mounted servers. I'm just not sure how much money they are going to be willing to spend especially if they can get a used system fairly cheap. Anyone have ideas of what range an S8400 is going to run?

Thanks.

You can use a S8400/S8500 with a used cabined.

Just get your hand on a Definity server SI or CSI and you have the newest Server.

You also need IPSI/C-Lan/Med-pro enz

But it will save you some money.

Greets Peter

RazorbackHog,

s8400 is sold as a bundle that consist of one g650 media gateway, s8400 media server circuit pack and another circuit pack, forgot its tn number, something like castrated ipsi suitable only for s8400. this bundle's bpl price is $6200. a bundle of 50 user licenses (non enterprise) costs $1000, 100 users $2000, 150 users $3000 and 200 users $4000. sum it up and add costs for port circuit pack, these you can buy used.
in my opinion, s8400 will be a hit.

dwalin,

Is CM part of the user licenses or is that a separate cost? Isn't that a big part of the costs?

Thanks.

RazorbackHog,

with newer licensing scheme, cm IS user licenses. effectively, you buy user licenses + some hardware. in almost any system, there will be a lot of different part numbers, licenses, tracking codes and such crap but its cost, in most cases, is $0. so you can easily assume that your system will cost you $6200 for basic hardware bundle + $3000 for user licenses + $$$$ for circuit packs, and this depends on what you need and where you buy it.

Thanks dwalin, that's worth a star as this is exactly the type of information I was looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back