Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Suddenly, the power turned off ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lenzcuvasch

Technical User
Mar 16, 2002
MY
I was using my computer and all of a sudden it went off. So I turned it back on, continue with my work and after abt. 15 mins it did it again.

I had used this computer for about a year and this didnt happen before. Some say its because of Windows XP, I say its some kinda problem with the hardware!

Please someone, can you guys help me?

Have you just upgraded to XP? Have you added an new hardware? I would guess its because if heat if you have not done any of the above. Try taken the case cover off and run the system that way and see if it shutdown on you. If it does not then haet is the problem. If you installed XP then look at the screen saver or you standby, some where its getting a message (if not from heat) to shut down.

sounds like the power supply is overheating..
jakesnake is right.. take off the cover (i'm assuming this is a desktop and not a laptop) and put a fan blowing air
in the general direction of the supply.. or you might try
adding a small muffin fan to the outside of the case up on the power supply itself

And while you have the case apart look at the processor cooling fan to see that it is turning and that the input air slots aren't blocked. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back