Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Suddenly Asking me to Re-Validate Windows XP Pro 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

osika

Technical User
Jun 30, 2002
US
I have Windows XP Pro. I had to reboot in safe mode because I was having troubles with my sound card. Now, when I boot up normally, windows tells me I have 3 days to activate my copy of windows xp. When I click "yes" nothing happens. Then, once XP starts up, I have a set of keys symbol called "out of box experience." When I click on that, the program crashes (whatever it is). Then, when I click on the icon in the right hand corner that is for validating windows, nothing happens. I haven't changed any of my hardware. And this truly is a legal and genuine copy of Windows XP. What can I do?

Thanks so much in advance.

Sincerely,
Ryan Osika

Might try system restore, go back a few days before the problem & see what happens.

xit

might call M$ about needing to activate your copy again ...

Mikl

A bird in the hand makes typing difficult.

I had this problem a while ago. Uninstalled a virtual CD drive rebooted then xp said i needed to activate windows. Rang MS they said they don't know why it happens but just go ahead an reactive it while she was on the phone. re activatede it and all worked well.

Regards
Max

Doesn't it cost money to call MS?

Well, that didn't work. And MS wants $60 to fix this. Ridiculous. I mean, I can't even activate it. The program to do so crashes every time I try. Would it help to uninstall Service Pack 2. I recently reinstalled that (several weeks ago) and am wondering if that's part of the problem. Also, is there a way to fix it from the Windows XP disk I received from Dell? I'll do whatever I need to as long as it doesn't involve losing any of my data. Thanks again for all your help.

Ryan

Microsoft has to be the only software vendor that can sell their software for a ridiculous price of over $300 and offer 90 days support, it makes me sick.

Maybe try re-entering your product key that is on your sticker? There is a possibility of the system not booting ot windows anymore though. I have done this a million times so as long as the key is genuine it will boot, here is the link to instructions and then if you have to use the telephone option to re-activate windows

Since the validation program keeps crashing every time I click on it. How do I manually re-enter my product key?

Thanks very much.

Ryan

Anything here?

Fails the Genuine Windows Validation
thread779-1315805

Re-Activate Windows

If you are looking at using your Dell Recovery CD you may have to check with Dell to make sure there is a non-destructive re-install option, some CD's may only allow you to re-install XP and not save your current installed data. In any case if you can save your files before you start repairing then do so.

Making a CD for Windows XP, 2000, 2003, and NT

Check the event viewer to see if there are any errors that occur around the time that you try to activate windows.

Click Start > Run > Type eventvwr > Click ok.

If so repsrt back here with details.

Also have you tried the system restore yet as xit suggested? If not I would recommend trying it.

Greg Palmer
Freeware Utilities for Windows Administrators.

One of our employees kept telling me she is getting that on her home PC and she swore she had a legitimate copy of XP.

A few days ago she told me it was a virus that HouseCall detected (i suggested she run that in Safe Mode). Go figure.

Thanks all. Finally figured it out. I went to Microsoft's support website and found this:

That led me to a genuine advance key tool that I had to download and run from Microsoft. That took care of it. Thanks all for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back