Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Suddenly; (0x80004005) unspecified error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stovio

Programmer
Mar 20, 2002
SE
Ok, so i know similar problems have been posted many times before but none of the posted solution suggestions seem to work for me.

I have a asp web page connected to a access 2002 db. I connect using DSN-less connection:

conn.Open "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" & server.mappath("db\mydb.mdb")

This worked as it should until yesterday when i all of a sudden got that non-enriching error message:

Microsoft JET Database Engine (0x80004005)
Unspecified error
/mypage_Local/dbconnection.asp, line 2

Line 2 points to my db connection above.
I have made sure that the IUSR account have permission to do anything on the folder containing the db and i have installed the latest mdac but the error remains. I can't remember what i might have done to cause this error. I made no changes to the db connection.

Any ideas?

/H

Yeah any ideas would be greatful - I am in the similar situation - just I have moved servers.

I had same problems when reinstaled my system, the solution i've found was that any projects that i've used from Visual Interdev it worked and the other placed inside didnt...

Go to IIS console then on the web folder you need Propertie then take a look at the Directory tab under the "Application name:" this probably it doesnt exists. If not "Create" one. Then you will be aple to pool your connections to database. Somehoe you forgot to close your connection object and recordsets, this is what gives you error now. Something like to many connections.

Symptoms:
Open page all worked ok(or couldnt) then do an refresh and you get the error... Or something like that.
If so then the solution above should solve the problem.

________
George, M

Actually, i do have an application name, so that wouldn't solve my problem. I also do have a fiew unclosed connections so i'm going to look closer into that.
Anyhow, Thanks.

Turns out that i didn't have any unclosed connection objects or recordsets so that wasn't it. Any other clues?

The TMP and TEMP system environment variables were both set to existing folders (c:\WINDOWS\TEMP).

The error did not occur today when trying to run the page. It reoccured however when i tried running the debugger in visual interdev 6 and now i'm stuck with it again. The debugger is what made the error occure the first time as well. Did this give anyone any great ideas?

/H

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back