Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sudden "Automation Error... " on Access 2003 !

Status
Not open for further replies.

raminriahi

Programmer
Sep 9, 2002
US
Hi all,

All of a sudden i get error -2147024770 Automation Error... Specific module can not be found" on 4 of my workstations running office 2003 prof. edition over Windows XP prof. SP2.
They were working fine till last Friday.

I searched for this error, and found out it maybe caused by a corrupted MDAC 2.8 file. I downloaded it from Microsoft site and tried to reinstall it, but it keeps telling me the version is not for this OS.

Any idea what's going on, and how can i come over it?

Please help me ASAP! cause it disabled 4 of my busiest workstations...

Thanks in advance,

Ramin

Ramin,

I had a similar problem...

Start with this...

Open the database on the machine with the problem. Bring up the VBA Macro Editor and check the References (Tools->References) for anything thats missing. The entry will be there but a message of MISSING will be beside it. Select it and take a note of the location of the file thats missing. The problem is either the file isn't there or it hasn't be registred correctly.

Do a search for the file on the computer and find out where it has been installed, it will be somewhere. Now you can copy it to the location specified in Access, do not move it, make sure the original file stays were it is. Once you copy it to the location try your code again, in theory it should now work, it depends on what file is missing.

I also read that many people were having this problem due to a Norton virus upgrade...

Hope this helps.

[thumbsup]

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately nothing is marked as MISSING in Tools->References window. The fact that 4 systems have the exact same situation, makes me suspicios. it should be a more general issue than something specific to a system.

I tried to reinstall the MDAC 2.8 SP1 patch on those 4 systems. It returns with an even more strange message : "This software can not be installed in this version of OS!". all of them are XP prof. edition SP2 running office 2003 prof. edition.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks anyway,

Ramin

Change existing references to current version. For example, if MS DAO 3.5 is checked see if you can find MS DAO 3.6 or higher. Is yes, uncheck the old and check the new.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back