Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sudden lose of network!? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

derekj

IS-IT--Management
Mar 22, 2001
GB
Hi all,

I installed PGP Freeware on my XP box and found to my horror that it screwed up my network. I have since uninstalled it. When I boot up I get my desktop but it takes an age to start all the devices. Looking in the event viewer something called 'NetBT' fails to start. I have also found that although my network adapter is working in DEVICES if I use any network service it says that my adapter does not exist.

If I open task manager there is "no network adapter found' I have uninstalled and reinstalled my NIC but the problem is still there. Anyhing that requires TCP/IP, it seams fails to work.

Does anyone know or able to explain what's happened and can they offer a fix.

My advice is don't install PGP freeware on an XP box!!

Kind regards to you all

Derek

I forgot to mention. The event ID for this problem is 4311. Cna't find anything about this anywhere.

If I try and ping the local machine I get the following error.

'Unable to contact IP driver. error code 2'

I have tryed netsh int ip reset which is supposed to reset your ip adresses, but this didn't do anything.

Anyone?

Regards

Derek

Apparently, the networking components of PGP hosed windows XP network components.

Type this at the command prompt:
sc config ipsec start= system

See the article
for detailed explaination.
Troy Williams E.I.T.
fenris@hotmail.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back