Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Substitutable Products 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

evalesthy

Programmer
Oct 27, 2000
US
Looking for best way to approach this concept of keeping track of 'related' items that are substitutes for each other.
Simple example: You have a Product Category 'Canned Goods' and within that you have 3 items that are legitimate substitutes for each other (e.g. Vendor_1 8 ounce Tomato Paste, Vendor_2 8oz Tomato Paste, and Vendor_3 8oz Tomato Paste). If you were thinking of reordering Tomato Paste you would want to be sure to check on-hand quantities of all 3 related interchangeable items. What is the easiest and most logical way to set up these relationships?

or a substitute product table:
[tt]
ProductName Substitute
Vendor_1 8 oz Vendor_2 8 oz
Vendor_1 8 oz Vendor_3 8 oz
Vendor_2 8 oz Vendor_1 8 oz
Vendor_2 8 oz Vendor_3 8 oz
Vendor_3 8 oz Vendor_1 8 oz
Vendor_3 8 oz Vendor_2 8 oz[/tt]

but this would be a maintenance nightmare!

Leslie

Have you met Hardy Heron?

One question you need to answer are all relationships transitive. If B is a replacement for A, is A also a replacement for B? With food probably true. But if for example and you are ordering building material or car parts this may not be true. Bolt B can replace A because it is slightly smaller, but A can not replace B because it will not fit.

It this is the case you would have to go with Leslie's table vice Remous idea.

I appreciate the comments so far. To keep the discussion going - some valid issues have arisen. You could have 4 Tomato Paste items under 'Canned Goods - Sauces' Category

Item A: 8oz Tomato Paste - Low Sodium
Item B: 80z Tomato Paste - Low Sodium
Item C; 10oz Tomato Paste - Low Sodium
Item D: 8oz Tomato Paste - High in Sodium

Here, A could substitute for B and B for A (they are interchangeable). However, D is the right product but is not substitutable because the container quantity of 10oz does not work well in recipes. And, Item C will not work for dietary reasons of being too high in Sodium. So how does one make the legitimate Substitution link between A and B in a user friendly way? There could be 1000's of items in the storeroom so this is a constant issue - not an infrequent one. Also, you may have the exact same issue with 4 similar 16oz Tomato Paste products.

All comments appreciated.

Are the attributes separated in your table? I hope "8oz Tomato Paste - Low Sodium" is not in a single Product Field.

Sounds like you need to separate the product description into multiple categories, e.g., description, size, feature, etc.. Then use queries to return matches on the relevant fields.

I think this would give you maximum flexibility to examine any inventory situation.

Good luck,
GS

[small][navy]**********************^*********************
I always know where people are going to sit. I'm chairvoyant.[/navy][/small]

I am wondering if you should have assemblies.

[tt]tblProperties
Property

tblProduct
ProductID
Product

tblProductProperties
ProductID
Property
Value

tblSuppliers
SupplierID

tblProductSupplier
ProductID
SupplierID[/tt]

[tt]The tblProductProperties might be:
ProductID Property Value
1 Size 10oz
1 Sodium Low
2 Colour Green
2 Fat High[/tt]

Remou: I like your suggestions and will study them more carefully in the next day or so. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back