Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Subsets

Status
Not open for further replies.

cogdev

MIS
Nov 30, 2001
US
what is the purpose of subsets in Powerplay, how can I use them.

Subsets allow you to define a custom set of categories. The advantage of subsets is that they are dynamic i.e. they are updated whenever a change in the cube data affects the categories in the subset.

This allows you to create 'standard' reports (using reporter mode) that are updated automatically - something that does not happen when you would create the same report without subsets i.e. by manually dragging the categories into the report. In the latter case, you can consider the categories to be hard-coded in the report!

In version 7.3 (out in Aug) you have the possibility to create advanced subsets in Explorer mode. An advanced subset is an arbitrary selection of categories (from any level). The advantage of this approach is that you can make reporter mode-like reports in explorer mode! It's great!

HTH,

Willem

Thanks Willem,

Is there documentation on what you just told me. There are a set of Icons on the Sidebar, I am clueless to what they do. There each, and average etc. and what is a find in cube subset?

You can start by reading the PowerPlay User Guide (pp_usr_gd.pdf).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back