Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Subreport Wizard linking problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ewarr

Technical User
Nov 25, 2008
US
I'm building a 2nd subreport using the wizard and when I try to link subreport field to main report table, the drop box does not display all fields in my subreport table...just a partial list and the field I need to use is not in list.

The wizard worked fine for my first subreport and allowed me to link properly and displayed all fields in table.

Any ideas why wizard will not display all available fields in subreport table to link to?

What type of field are you trying to link to? Text, blob, clob, etc., fields are not available for linking. Also, the field you're linking from and the field you're linking to have to be the same data type in order for the field to show up in the "To" list.

There is a way around the data type constraint:

1. Link from the field in the main report to any field in the subreport that has the same type. This sets up the link parameter in the subreport.
2. In the subreport, go to the Select Expert and edit the formula to a)remove the "dummy" field you used and b)add the field you need to link to, converted to the same type as the main report.

-Dell

A computer only does what you actually told it to do - not what you thought you told it to do.

The data types should be the same in both tables but for some reason they are not. I was able to use another field where the data type did match and I got the link setup ok.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back