Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Subreport placement...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmwdmr

Technical User
Jan 10, 2002
US
Crystal 10
Oracle

I would like to get my subreport placed so that it is horizontal (across, not down) to my main report data. I have tried just about every combination of subreport placement, insertion of additional sections and the underlay option. Both the main report and subreport are simple counts and grouping and are laid out identically. I would like to produce the follwing display/output via correct subreport placement (plus other settings?)

MAIN REPORT SUBREPORT

RH - Report Title RH - Report Title
PH - Section Title PH - Section Title
GH1 - Group Name GH1 - Group Name
GH2 - suppressed GH2 - suppressed
D - suppressed D - suppressed
GH2 - Total Count-Region GH2 - Total Count-Region
GH1 - Total Count-GL Date GH1 - Total Count-GLdate
RF RF
PF PF

Basically, I would like the subreport data side by side next to the main report data vs. below the main report data. Thanks!

Maybe I am missing something but can't you just change the page orientation to landscape and the move the subreport to the right of the main report's data?

-- Jason
"It's Just Ones and Zeros

A subreport in Crystal is wholly contained in a single section of the main report. That's how the software works and cannot be changed.

As suggested above, you could have two subreports side by side, maybe moving the main report into a 'shell' as a subreport. (Note that there are also no subreports from subreports, another feature a lot of us would like).

An alternative is to have several subreports in different main report sections. Note that you can pass values back as Shared Variables, which can be used in any section below the section with the subreport. So you could pass back the totals and just display them in the main report group footer.

[yinyang] Madawc Williams (East Anglia, UK). Using Windows XP & Crystal 10 [yinyang]

Thanks for the replies.

jdemmi and IdoMillet - you don't suggest a section for placement of the subreport(s), which is what I was after.

IdoMillet and Madawc - if I use two subreports, what section do I put them in, details?

I was looking at a report my predesessor wrote and there were at least 5 subreports in it with many sections and subsections. Along with that, heavy use of the underlay option. Everything lines up horizontally and you cannot tell there are subreports in the main report at all. That's why I was trying to go in that direction.

I did end up dropping the two subreports in a main report which is nothing but a container.

Thanks everyone!

Subreports go where you need them: they run as complete reports each time that section is processed by the main report.

Subreports at a detail leval are a lot of work; each of them makes a separate request to the server for data. If you can avoid them, do.

You could put two, three or more subreports in the detail line, but processing is likely to be very slow.

[yinyang] Madawc Williams (East Anglia, UK). Using Windows XP & Crystal 10 [yinyang]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back