Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Subreport not showing consistently

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmarkham

Programmer
Apr 10, 2002
GB
Has anyone any ideas what might be happening here please.

Crystal Reports 8.0
Oracle 8.0 database.
Oracle ODBC driver

I have a report with one level of grouping and a subreport in the group footer. The group header and detail lines are suppressed. What the user sees is a few details from the main query (in the footer) plus the contents of the subreport.

The subreport is linked using a numeric field (the group by field) and a date, which is a summary item (MaxOf). The report is very big (over 300 pages) and the subreport gets run about 500 times.

Some of the subreports are appearing blank, although there is data to be reported. Even stanger, if you drill down into one of these blank subreports and do a refresh then the data appears. I can't let this go out to users like this so I'd appreciate any ideas.

I can't change any of the software and, I'm sorry but, I can't show you any of the data because it's sensitive.

Thanks

Jim

You're not supposed to use the Oracle ODBC driver, use the CR Oracle ODBC driver.

Otherwise I'd make sure that you apply the Hotfixes:

If you're certain that these subreports aren't showing data when they should, try limiting the rows in the record selection formula to just one subreport and see if it displays the data. Also check the record selection formula within the subreport, perhaps there's something in there biting you...

-k

Thanks Synapse

Unfortunately I can't use the CR ODBC driver. The users have a packaged system that incorporates Crystal as its reporting mechanism. I can add reports to the system but they will be run through the software config delivered by the package suppliers.

I'll take a look at the fixes though - thanks for that.

Jim

Note that Crystal Decisions suggests that you use their driver, not Oracles.

Might be interesting to pose that to your packaged system developers.

If you're not getting subreport data, how are you able to drill down within it?

I suspect there's some discovery looming here...

-k

BTW, I have a legacy report here that fires a subreport about 300,000 times and it always shows the data, I'd check for conditional suppression in the section or subreport.

-k

Thanks Synapse. The conditional suppression is an interesting idea. I don't have it in the report but that is exactly how the report is behaving. If I ever find out what I've done wrong here I'll let you know!

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back