Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Subreport Links

Status
Not open for further replies.

LucyColey

Programmer
Apr 30, 2001
US
I have a container report that contains eight subreports. Each subreport has an identical parameter. I would like to pass that prompt from the container report so I only have to enter the value once instead of eight times (once for each subreport). The subreports aren't really linked to any field in the container report, so when I edit the links, I unselect the check box that selects data in subreport based on a specified field. I then us the parameter that links the reports in the subreports to limit the data. When I run the container report, none of the subreports show up, but when I double click on the subreport, so it has it's own preview tab, it uses that same parameter value that I already passed to it and it brings back data. Am I missing a step?

You should link each subreport parameter to the container parameter. Then use the subreport parameter in that subreports select expert as you need to for selection.

Also, it sounds like your subreport may be set as an "on demand" subreport. This would require that you double click the object to launch the subreport. Ken Hamady
On-site custom Crystal Reports Training and Consulting.
Quick Reference Guide to using Crystal in VB.

Unfortunately, the subreport parameter is not an option in the list of available linked fields. Any other ideas?

The subreorts are not "on demand" reports. A bunch of subreports printing one right after the other is just a creative way for me to display unrelated information on the report for the end users.

Move the CONTAINER report paramter over to the right on the links window. If there isn't a parameter in the container, add one just like in the subreports. Move it over once for each link (8 times).

Then below on the left, link each instance of the parameter to the existing param from the subreports. They should appear if they match data types. CR will try to add its own parameter, but use your existing ones. Ken Hamady

Guess what I just found on Crystal's sight?

"This is a known issue and has been assigned Track ID 51891.
This issue has been resolved in Crystal Reports 8.5."

Sorry, I must have missed the question.

I use V8, and I just dropped 3 subreports into a container and they all shared the same parameter, prompted by the container. They all run as soon as I preview.

Are you testing in the designer or from within an application? Ken Hamady

So it appears that you can fix the problem without V8.5 by just having the container report select one field from one table in the database...and then hide it on the container report. Brian J. Alves
Terrier Consulting, Inc.
Email: brian.alves@worldnet.att.net
VB / Crystal / SQLServer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back