Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Subreport in a second column.

Status
Not open for further replies.

raven4

Vendor
Jan 10, 2008
US
Crystal 9.0

I need to build a report that lists a board's members. Then, if any member of the board has an administrative assistant(s), those names should be listed in a second column. I am using a sub-report to list the assistant name, which is working just fine if I list the assistants below the board member, but the end-user really wants to have the data appear side by side instead of having the assistant information beneath the board member information. So, for example, the output should be:

COLUMN 1 COLUMN 2

Board Member A Name Assistant 1 Name
Board Member A Address Assistant 1 Phone
Board Member A Phone
Board Member A Email Assistant 2 Name
Board Member A Cell Assistant 2 Phone

Board Member B Name
Board Member B Address
etc.

Board Member C Name Assistant 1 Name
Board Member C Address Assistant 1 Phone
etc.

Is there any way to build a two column report and put only the sub-report information in the second column?

Thanks.

raven,

Just an idea: What about having your subreport in the same section as the Board Member, but only half the width of the page - giving the illusion of 2 columns.

Not 100% this will work, but perhaps a place to start. =)

Cheers!

Mike
---------------------------------------------------------------
"To be alive is to revel in the moments, in the sunrise and the sunset, in the sudden and brief episodes of love and adventure,
in the hours of companionship. It is, most of all, to never be paralyzed by your fears of a future that no one can foretell."

Thanks, Mike, I tried that, but each piece of board member data (name, address, phone, etc.) is in a separate details section. So when I add the sub-report in the Detail A section (where Name is) and it is larger than the main report, then I get a huge gap between my Board Member's Name and the next line of information.

Hmmm....maybe I just won't use separate detail sections. May have to give that a try.

Thanks!

Well, that did work to some extent, but then I lose key formatting features like using the "can grow" feature on address data and suppressing sections with blank data.

I'm not sure I'm following the problem, but if you group on board member, place the name in a group header_b and the other info in the detail section, you could add the subreport to a group header_a section and format that section to "underlay following sections".

The sub should be linked on the board member field.

-LB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back