Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Subreport always displays (at least) a blank area

Status
Not open for further replies.

UHsoccer

Programmer
Apr 24, 2003
US
I use the subreport to accumaulate information, I do not want to print anything in it.
It still uses space on the output in the form of a blank box. Is there a way to "hide" the blank box. I discovered that when I suppress the printing of a subreport it also suppresses the execution of it, so that is not the answer.

Thanks

Hi UHsoccer,
To suppress your sub report, try this:
go to the section expert and select the section with the subreport. Select insert, this gives a new section. put the sub report in the new section and format the section "Supress" or "Hide".
Hope this is useful...

The problem is that if you Hide or suppress the section with the subreport, it does NOT execute the subreport.
I need to execute the subreport, but even if hiding every section in the subreport, it still displays a rectangular blank space. That "blank space" has a border outlined around it

There are two things you can do that will minimize the space, but not wholly remove it:

1-In design mode, drag the bottom border of the subreport up so that the height of the subreport is minimized. Also remove the borders by right clicking on the subreport->format subreport-> borders and change the lines to "none."

2-Format the section above the one in which the subreport is located to "Underlay following sections."

-LB

URGENT... I have encountered a related problem. Basically my setup is this:

group header 4: subreport with values coming into the main report

group footer 4: main values from the subreport (the values show 0 unless I have the subreport in the header)

I managed to hide the header rows completely (very small space in between footer rows) by turning off "can grow", but now I need to supress the footer when a certain condition is met, and once I do that, I get spaces in between the remaining footer rows, caused by the header, which in some cases becomes quite a large space, depending on how many rows were supressed in each section. If I try to apply the same supress condition to the header, I lose my values.

If anyone has any idea on a way around this, I would appreciate it very much as I am going crazy with these spaces!!

I had some success with changing the "Underlay following section" option and the "Cannot grow" setting.
Are you hiding the section with a formula?
Try to just hide them and see whether that makes any difference

I had a very similar issue. The way I got around it was :

1. Create a Shared Numbervar (e.g. TotalCost) on the subreport in the formula section, and added it to the subreport.
2. Pull the Shared Numbervar onto the main report.
3. For the subreport > section expert > Hide (Drill Down ok)

All my values were then "pulled" through to the main report . and no blank spaces were printed.

Hope this helps.

-Sart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back