Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Subquery with ORDER BY

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainBob007

Programmer
Dec 20, 2003
US
Hi all -

I'm having a little trouble with a subquery and I'm not sure why. Here's what I'm running:

Code:
SELECT DISTINCT tblPermit.PerID, 
tblProperty.AddNum & " " & tblProperty.AddStreet AS Address,
tblPermit.Description, 
tblPermit.PerNum,
tblProperty.AddStreet,
tblProperty.AddNum
FROM tblProperty INNER JOIN (tblPermit LEFT JOIN tblInsp ON tblPermit.PerID=tblInsp.PerID)
ON tblProperty.PropID=tblPermit.PropID
WHERE NOT tblPermit.PerID IN (SELECT PerID FROM tblInsp WHERE ((InsStatus = "Fail") OR (InsStatus IS NULL)))
ORDER BY tblProperty.AddStreet, tblProperty.AddNum;

It comes up with all the results I want, but it doesn't order them. Any ideas as to why would be most appreciated. Thank you in advance.

~Bob

how is it sorting the records and how do you actually want them sorted? Your current order by sorts by the street name and then the house number. Is AddNum a number field or is it text?

Leslie

Anything worth doing is a lot more difficult than it's worth - Unknown Induhvidual

Right now it's just sorting them by primary key, which is probably only because my sample data happens to be in that order anyway. AddNum is a number field. I have plenty of other queries which sort by street name and then address number, so I dont know why this might be any different..

Are you sure the DISTINCT predicate is mandatory ?

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back