Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Subquery returned more than 1 value

Status
Not open for further replies.

hrg

Programmer
Jan 8, 2009
US
I've written an SQL statement to update a database as follows:

UPDATE Agent SET previousBalanceDue = (select isnull(dbo.fnGetAgentTotalBalanceDue(taxIdNumber),0))

The statement fails with the follwing message:

Subquery returned more than 1 value. This is not permitted when the subquery follows =, !=, <, <= , >, >= or when the subquery is used as an expression.

If I run only the innner select query using a string literal the function returns a single value, i.e.:

select isnull(dbo.fnGetAgentTotalBalanceDue('000000002'),0)

How can my UPDATE statement be modified to so that the scalar-valued function returns only one row for each row that the UPDATE statement is updating?

Here is the code for the scalar-valued function:

ALTER FUNCTION [dbo].[fnGetAgentTotalBalanceDue]
(
-- Add the parameters for the function here
@TaxIdNumber char(9)
)
RETURNS money
AS
BEGIN
-- Declare the return variable here
DECLARE @Result money

-- Add the T-SQL statements to compute the return value here
SELECT @Result =
(SELECT a.previousBalanceDue +
SUM(i.newAmount) +
SUM(i.renewalAmount) -
SUM(i.refundAmount) -
SUM(i.newAmountRetained) -
SUM(i.renewalAmountRetained) -
SUM(i.refundAmountRetained) as AgentTotalBalanceDue
FROM Agent a JOIN Ismdata i ON a.taxIdNumber = i.taxIdNo WHERE a.taxIdNumber = @TaxIdNumber GROUP BY a.previousBalanceDue)

-- Return the result of the function
RETURN @Result

END

Somewhere in your inner select in the function, the select is returning more than one row. You will have to check the data and find out why.

Run this in SSMS (or QA):
Code:
SELECT a.taxIdNumber,
       a.previousBalanceDue,
       a.previousBalanceDue +
         SUM(i.newAmount) +
         SUM(i.renewalAmount) -
         SUM(i.refundAmount) -
         SUM(i.newAmountRetained) -
         SUM(i.renewalAmountRetained) -
         SUM(i.refundAmountRetained) as AgentTotalBalanceDue
    FROM Agent a 
JOIN Ismdata i ON a.taxIdNumber = i.taxIdNo
GROUP BY a.taxIdNumber, a.previousBalanceDue
HAVING COUNT(*) > 1
and see for what taxIdNumber you have more than one previousBalanceDue.

Borislav Borissov
VFP9 SP2, SQL Server 2000/2005.

Thanks for your reply.

No row in the result set from the scalar-valued function is a duplicate, they are all unique. The problem is that there is more than one row - I think we understand that to be crux of the problem.

Perhaps my understanding of the inner workings of SQL is at fault: I believed that the UPDATE statement would pass the [taxIdNumber] from the current row it was updating to the function as a parameter. The function would then return the value calculated by the function for that specific [taxIdNumber] - meaning that only one row and one column would be returned (as in the example where I provided a string literal as the parameter to the function).

It appears to me that this is not the case; that the scalar-valued function, as it executes within the UPDATE statement, is returning the results of all of [taxIdNumbers]'s for each row that it is updating, rather than for just the [taxIdNumber] assoicated with the specific row it is updating. Am I wrong to assume this?

To test this theory, I modified the UPDATE statement to limit the scope of the update to a single agent row as follows:

UPDATE Agent SET previousBalanceDue = (select isnull(dbo.fnGetAgentTotalBalanceDue(taxIdNumber),0) where taxidnumber='000000002')

I recevied the same error: Subquery returned more than one value.

try this:

Code:
UPDATE Agent 
SET    previousBalanceDue = Isnull(dbo.fnGetAgentTotalBalanceDue(taxIdNumber),0)
where  taxidnumber='000000002'

-George

"The great things about standards is that there are so many to choose from." - Fortune Cookie Wisdom

Yes this works, but only for the one Agent (taxIdNumber). I need it work through all agents (taxIdNumber's) in the agent table, updating them with the value calculated in the scalar-valued function.

I supposed I could use the method you propose from user-interface, creating looping structure that sends the taxIdNumber to the SP as a parameter, but I'd rather the storped procedure (and associated function) were able to handle it.

This seems like a common thing to do, but I can't seem to figure it out. Thanks for your continued support.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back