Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Subnetting practice problems 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cluebird

Instructor
Jan 10, 2004
US
Practice your subnetting skills with the following:

1. You have a router with 9 interfaces that need IP addresses. You are assigned 195.33.44.0. Construct a complete addressing plan for your router. Use FLSM only.

2. You have two hosts that are unable to connect with each other. On one host you see the ip address 192.168.100.33 255.255.255.240. On the other host you see 192.168.100.28 255.255.255.240. What is the problem?

3. Your administrator tells you to address a host with the following address: 172.16.2.255 255.255.252.0. Will this work? Why or why not?

4. What mask will give me 18 hosts with max number of networks if I start out with 192.168.255.0?

5. What class is the following mask: 255.255.255.0?
A. Class C
B. Class B
C. Class G
D. Not enough information to decide

6. Your server administrator wants to use the 172.168.200.127 255.255.255.128 address on his Exchange server. What is your response?
A. No problem
B. Won't work because that is a local broadcast
C. Won't work because that is a network address
D. Won't work because that is a directed broadcast
E. None of the above

Enjoy

Your Windows server administrator wants to implement NAT for a network using the following scope of addresses: 202.92.233.46-202.92.233.61 255.255.255.240 Will this work? Why or why not

No
With that subnet your INC is 16, The admin would have to change his subnet as .46 and .61 are not on the same network.

Per Larry King, "Just answer the question!"

There is no dragon in #5. It's hidden in other problems. I'll post answers in the AM.

Tad
BS,MS,MCSE,MCP,CCNA,CCNP,CCAI/CCNA,CCAI/CCNP,CCSI,CCIE R&S(Written),BFD,WRATGAS,EIEIO,ETC.,ET.AL,Ad Infinitum

LoL.. Clue, you have quite the impressive list of titles following your name..

Burt.. Thanks for the reply.. I thought that I was going Crazy with #5... Could not see it.. LoL

Hey, I know that this is not thread related but do I correctly understand the /31 according to my previous post?

B Haines
CCNA R&S, ETA FOI

By the way.. When are you going to take the lab Clue?

B Haines
CCNA R&S, ETA FOI

Mac,

You're correct on you understanding of /31.

I'll try the lab next spring. I use the written to renew underlying certs for now. Currently, I'm prepping the new CCNA certs and trying to finish CCSP and CCVP.

Clue - so how was it to meet god?

BS,MS,MCSE,MCP,CCNA,CCNP,CCAI/CCNA,CCAI/CCNP,CCSI,CCIE R&S(Written),BFD,WRATGAS,EIEIO,ETC.,ET.AL,Ad Infinitum

Alas, being a CCIE of merely the paper kind, my audience was cancelled until I receive further enlightenment from the multitude of gnomes, beasts, and dragons hidden within IOS from whence I gain further in the hidden secrets of OSI as interpreted by TCP/IP formerly of DoD, kin of ARPAnet overthrown by NSFnet, now banished to the darkness of Internet and intranet. Verily, my quest is to reach the final state of LIFE IS GOOD spake upon by numerous ADMINs within blogs and forums wherein THE ROUTER never crashes, the HOLY IP PACKET (in it's various forms), never is lost or dropped, and the RFCs remain unchanged. Until then, I must prepare for battle with THE LAB, conqueror of hundreds before me, decimator of egos, destroyer of LIFE, and protected and nourished by the Cult of Proctors.

LoL.. Star!

I wish you good luck.. I am going to make a run for all of the CCNA specializations then try to tackle the CCSP followed by the CCNP. Baby steps right now. Thanks for all of your help... Everyone!

B Haines
CCNA R&S, ETA FOI

I also have these certs...

BFD,WRATGAS,EIEIO,ETC.,ET.AL,Ad Infinitum

lol

Buirt

Clue - Holy Crap....I feel like i just went on an adventure into the world of LOTR with a side of Tron and a touch of cisco...good times.

2) I did this problem last night but forgot to bring it into work. The guy is doing nat to two diffrent networks. Not only is he the server admin and shouldn't be touching my network devices but... If the router can see both of the networks i don't see that it would be an issue on why he can't setup a nat to two diffrent networks if the router can see both of them.

Technically, he can, given that the router has two inside interfaces for two different inside networks, and two outside interfaces for two outside networks. This means usually two different ISP's, and only one usable IP address on one subnet (which means PAT) and another NAT pool.
---HOWEVER---
The question asks for "the network" using the "SCOPE" of addresses, suggesting one NAT pool---this will NOT work. The point is to recognize that the Windows dude should stick to Windows (there are 10 types of people in this world---those who understand binary, and those who don't...), and more importantly, that with this mask, where the boundaries start and end with the given mask, resulting in two different subnets.

Burt

May try to tackle the EIEIO next.. LoL

B Haines
CCNA R&S, ETA FOI

You administer a small branch office with 15 hosts. Your central administrator sends you an e-mail with your addresses which are 234.55.33.0 255.255.255.224. Will you have any issues using this address space? Why or why not.

* First answer - Yes I will have an issue because 234 is not a private range.

But if everyone got there own public ip.

11.11.11.11100000 will give me an inc of 32

234.55.33.0 - 234.55.33.31

giving you more than the needed ip's

Bobby,

Burt (or is it Buirt?) has the right concept with the Windows admin. Key words. RTFQ.

Please verify for me what class the 234.55.33.0 network is?

Dragon is munching on you right now.

Class D. But you see a class d can be used if someone has provided you with it. Right? Just because it's not a standard doesn't mean much. You told me that the Admin gave me this ip address. I should trust that my admin is not a re-re and has selected this.

See there is where i get messed up with your questions. All of your questions assume that everyone around me is retarted. A class D is for multicast. Can i not use a class D no matter what?

You can never subnet Class D. The point being that you need to understand subnetting and what is usable versus not usable. Class D is reserved for multicast. All my questions assume that you are trying to pass CCENT. Cisco likes to test all the concepts I've presented to you. And they like to give you "bogus" situations like your central admin probably fat-fingered the IP addresses he sent you and may have meant 214.55.33.0. If you catch his error...ie he sent you multicast rather than Class C, you can request a correction. There is a saying, "trust but verify".

This question tests several concepts as do all Cisco questions:
First, do you understand the different classes of addresses?
Second, can you subnet?
Third, can you identify errors (troubleshoot)?

You receive a Cisco router from your local reseller. It is a 2811 with a WIC-2T installed. Based on the total number of hardware interfaces, what subnet mask will you need to use if you have the 192.225.33.0 network?

I got started on this one but then i said to myself i can't answer this question. I don't know how many hosts i need. Sure i might need 4 networks but am i doing multicasting on that WIC-2T? I hope i atleast get something right.

I took a prep test of 300 questions and got a 80% on it. So far your questions are the hardest.. I love them because they make me think but at the same time i hate it beacuse i keep getting them wrong..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back