Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Subnets issues, can connect but can't ping 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

FSM

IS-IT--Management
Jun 8, 2000
US

Hi guys,
I got this problem I can connect to my firewall (netgear fvs318) via vpn (prosafe client) I can connect but I can't browse anything, tested with ipscan and al my connections are dead, except the firewall internal ip here's the scenario:
firewall static ip= 192.168.254.x (internal 192.168.0.1)
remote client gets this virtual ip= 192.168.254.1
and my lan=192.168.0.0 subnet

Do I have to configure static routes to get connected???? if so how should I do it.

Thank you guys
let me know if you need to know something more

FSM

Did you ever get an answer to the static route question? I seem to have the same question.

Thanks

if the subnet mask is set to 255.255.255.0 : yes you must make a static route.

If you set the subnet mask to 255.255.0.0 then you probably don't need a static route, because then all ip's are in the same network.

look up some documentation about the implementation of subnet masks and things will become clear about why sometimes a machine can "see" another, and at other times cannot. It mostly has to do with the subnet mask.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back