Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

subnet sharing, do i need wins for this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spivy66

MIS
Nov 8, 2002
US
Guys,

I'm sure this was posted somewhere else. But I haven't found an answer on my problem.

I have two different sub nets which are needed, 192.168.1.0/24 192.168.2.0/24 separated by a cisco 2600. I can ping just find and use all my apps between subnets. My problem is when I view my network neighbor hood from the 192.168.1.0/24 i can only see the users in that mask only, and same if i look at a users from the 192.168.2.0/24. But never can see both on any side. I also have this problems with printers. Is this a net bios thing. Do i need to set my DC 2000k with two nic one for each sub net for this to work?. or do i need to create a wins server

any help would be great thanks!!!

the only reason you would want a WINS Server is to use UNC paths that or RDP to a Server or desktop via its name. It puts a heavy strain against a DC as well.

As to the multiple subnets, does your DC see all machines?

WINS would be a good solution to your machines on both networks being able to 'see' eachother when browsing the network. It can also reduce broadcasts on your lan.

If using Win2000 or later and active directory with DNS then this won't necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back