Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Subnet or what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PP02

Technical User
Jan 24, 2011
FR
A friend has a small startup company doing games testing. An old colleague of his setup his network with the internal ip of 192.168.0.X 255.255.255.0

The network consists of:

Small file server
8 workstations
4 xbox
4 PS3's
5 adsl modem routers -providing internet
Network Printer
Netgear ReadyNAS+
And a selection of HP Procurve 8 port switches feeding back to a 16port switch

The Workstations, PS3's, XBOX's are set to go through different ADSL modems all on 192.168.0.x 255.255.255.0

The guy who set him up has left and he's asked me if I can help out as a mate since I know marginally more than him! Since he's having slow connection problems connecting to the XBOX's from several of the workstations I suggested putting the the XBOX's on a different subnet. Only thing is I have no idea how to give the workstations access to the xbox's and the server?

1) I fail to see how this might work at all unless the '16 ports switch' was a multi WAN router like the RV016.

2) You would almost assuredly be better served with fewer higher speed DSL lines than by many low speed DSL lines. Is there no cable available?

3) Local communication will not be sped up by internal subnets. It is far more likely that you have too many cheap 8 port switches when you would be better served by a big 24 port switch. but that is still unlikely.

4) I, at least, am far more visual than textual. Can you draw your network (with part numbers of the network gear?)

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

It sounds like all the devices are set up with static ip addresses, with the gateway(router) set up in each device to the router he wants it to go through. That is, unless he has the file server running dhcp with a reservation for each device with custom parameters. I would suggest using a computer to do speed tests on each of the adsl routers to determine if any of them are performing poorly compared to the others. You could then set the devices like PS3 and Xbox to go throug the most dependable routers, while the pc's and netgear can go through the slower connections since lag isn't an issue.

Good luck!

Dr. Cool
STAFTLSKHO.

Do you have a current network map?

It sounds like the network topology may resemble a bowl of spaghetti and meatballs! (Meatballs as the devices, with spaghetti cables going in all directions)

If you can begin by figuring out what connects to where, and why you need 5 ADSL modems, maybe you can get an idea of what's creating the performance issues.

It almost sounds like this may have been several distinct LANs that ended up plugged together over time. I'd agree with jimbopalmer that you would probably be better served by fewer (maybe you only need one) ADSL lines at higher speed, and it may well cost less for the customer too.

But before you can decide that, I'd strongly suggest that you create a map of the network with addresses, and analyze what works and what doesn't. Work carefully, and you should be able to determine what is redundant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back