Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Submitting form to email accounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doggy09

Technical User
Feb 11, 2004
PG
Ok,
after filling out the infomation i want the users to submit the form from my website to an email address (eg: sales@abc.com)
could this be possible?
If so what coding do i put for the submit button to send the information to the email address?
Thankx in advance for you valuable time reading.
=`)

Hi

Doggy09 said:
i want the users to submit the form from my website to an email address
Sending to an email address has to be done using SMTP protocol, but the browsers does not handle SMTP, so can not submit form data to email address.

Alternatives :
[ul]
[li]rely on the visitor's mail client in sending
[gray]drawbacks :
[ul]
[li]you must expose your own e-mail address[/li]
[li]the visitor may not have installed mail client[/li]
[li]the visitor may not want to expose his mail address and gives up[/li]
[li]the visitor may modify the form data before sending[/li]
[/ul][/gray][/li]
[li]use a server-side formmailer script
[ul]
[li]install a formmailer script on your server ( most are free )
[gray]drawbacks :
[ul]
[li]must have a server able to interpret the script and send the mail ( forbidden on some free hosts )[/li]
[/ul][/gray]
[/li]
[li]use a formmailing service ( some are free )
[gray]drawbacks :
[ul]
[li]some services requires to expose your mail address[/li]
[li]some free services have traffic limitations[/li]
[/ul][/gray]
[/li]
[/ul]
[/li]
[/ul]

Feherke.

Using a formmail script is the easiest way, Check with your server admin to see if one is installed. If not, they are usually free and easy to use.

**Quiquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.**

Hi,

Can someone please explain more about serverside Formailer script and how one would use one?

Much appreciated

Quick overview .........
A server side form mail script is like an email template, containing the standard elements of an email. Your server side script gathers the variables (To: From: Subject: Content etc.), either from a form submission, a file or other source, populates the email and then sends the result as a standard email. The recipient is unaware that the email was compiled in this way as it appears as a normal email.
For more specifics - search the relevant forum Perl, PHP etc.

Keith

Certain hosting companies will have an email forms available, you should contact your hosting company. Otherwise you have to find one on-line. Also you have to find out if your server/hosting company has php, asp, or asp.net. Most hosting companies have php because it's free. You can find free ones on the web.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back