Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

submitting an updated page w/out using a form

Status
Not open for further replies.

ifeyinwa

Programmer
Mar 26, 2003
US
‘Hey Guys have a question .
Have 3 asp pages. The first page displays information with a select statement on all bill from a dept.
Each of these bills it displays is a hyperlink which when clicked opens up a second page with just a more detailed information about that bill picked. This 2nd page in addition gives the user the functionality of adding a comment or updating on the bill and submitting it.This 2nd format is set up as a form with input boxes and text areas.
The third page is just a confirmation page but also where the actual update statement is written.
All this works fine.However this is what I want to achieve. I need to change the look and feel of the 2nd page which has the input box format /look to just a page that looks like a a written text. I know I can display the infor with eg <%=RS("comments")%> but how can the user make an update on the 2nd page without a form ,? How can infor entered on the page be submitted without a form?
below is a brief code for the , 2nd & 3rd page .How can I revise these pages to achieve my goal. Thanks as always

****2nd page
<%
billNO = request.querystring("billNo")

Set Conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
Set Rs = Server.CreateObject("adodb.Recordset")
Conn.Open "eiwp"
SQLQuery = "SELECT * FROM tblopgaCOm2 WHERE billNo = '" & billNo & "'"
RS.Open SQLQuery ,Conn,1,1

strBillNo=RS("billNo")

SQLQuery1= "Select area FROM tblopgaCOm2 WHERE billNo = '"&strBillNo&"'"
Set RS1=Conn.Execute(SQLQuery1)
%>
<div align="left">
<form method="POST" action="legconfirm.asp" >
<table border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="4" width="100%">
<td width="155%" bgcolor="#C0C0C0" height="36" colspan="5"><b><font size="2">BILL</font>#</b>
<b><font color="#000080">
<input type="text" name="billNo" style="background-color: #D2D2D2; font-weight: bold; color: #000080" size="9" value="<%=RS("billNo")%>" readonly></font></b>&nbsp;<font size="2"><b>READER:
</b>
<input type="text" name="rdr3rd" style="background-color: #D2D2D2; font-weight: bold" size="13" value="<% if RS("rdr3rd")= "Y" Then
Response.write("3rd Reader")
Else
Response.write ("")
End if%>" readonly </td></font></td><b><font color="#000080"><input type="text" name="area" style="background-color: #D2D2D2; color: #000080; font-weight: bold; text-align: Left" size="8" value="<%=RS("area")%>" readonly>&nbsp;
<input type="text" name="Test" size="6" value="<%=RS("Test")%>" style="color: #C0C0C0; background-color: #C0C0C0"></font></b></td>
<td width="142%" height="36">&nbsp;</td>
<tr>
<td width="182%" bgcolor="#C0C0C0" height="36" colspan="5"><b><font size="2">&nbsp;COMMENTS&nbsp;
DATE:</font></b>&nbsp;&nbsp; OTHER
AREARS FOR COMMENTS</b></font><b><font size="2">:</font></b></td>
<td width="159%" bgcolor="#E6E3E4" height="36" colspan="4">
<textarea rows="2" name="otherdescription" readonly style="background-color: #D2D2D2" cols="27">
<% Do Until RS1.EOF
Response.write RS1("area")&","
RS1.MoveNext
Loop
RS1.Close
%>

</textarea>

****3rd Page

Test=Trim(Request.form("Test"))
StrbillNo = Trim(Request.form("billNo"))
Strarea = Trim(Request.form("area"))
Strcomments = Trim(Request.form("comments"))
Strpriorcomments = Trim(Request.form("priorcomments"))

Set Conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
Set RS = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.RecordSet")
Conn.Open "eiwp"

SQlstmt = "Update tblopgaCom2 Set "
SQLStmt = SQlstmt & "comments ='" & "" & "',"
SQLStmt = SQlstmt & "priorcomments ='" & Strpriorcomments & "."&" "& ";" & vbcrlf & Strcomments & "',"
SQLStmt = SQlstmt & "updDate=#" & Date & "#, "
SQLStmt = SQlstmt & "[Time] =#" & time() & "# "
SQLStmt = SQlstmt & " Where Test =" & Test
Conn.Execute(SQLStmt)
Conn.Close
set RS=Nothing
Set Conn=Nothing
%>

you can't submit without a form

Can i ask why do you needed to remove the form?

If its just for design purposes, use css to remove the borders of the textfields and make seems as though it is just text displaying

Thanks I thought so.yes it is just for design purposes.HOw do I use CSS to remove the borders and depression of textboxes

Still wondering if anyone has an idea of how I can remove borders or teh depresion of a text box field so the text in the input box hust appears as a writing???

<input name="" type="text" style=" border-style:none;" value="Hello World">

You'll get the best answers on how to tweak the appearance of such things from the forum for HTML, XHTML & CSS (Cascading Style Sheets).

Here is the link for that forum: forum215

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back