Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

submit of form does not work in Netscape

Status
Not open for further replies.

anto2

Programmer
Apr 4, 2001
IE
Hello we had a problem with our clients caching pages on their proxy server so people we seeing other peoples information. We got round this by using forms and submitting them that in turn forced the proxy server to get a new version of the page each time. This works fine with IE but not with Netscape.

This is the way this is supposed to work. First page is a logon page with username and password this is submitted to an Oracle database to verify the details, if the details are valid then a form is built and submitted straight away to call a menu page.

this is the code
<form autocomplete='off' name="submitform" ACTION="hr_hrw0000_form.build_menu" METHOD="POST" onSubmit="true" >
</form>
<script language="Javascript">
document.submitform.submit();
</script>

Using netscape 7 +

Execute javascript after page is loaded. onSubmit="true" is not necessary:

Code:
<body onload="blah();">
<form autocomplete='off' name="submitform" ACTION="hr_hrw0000_form.build_menu" METHOD="POST">
</form>
<script language="Javascript">
function blah(){	document.forms["submitform"].submit(); }
</script>

FYI caching problems can be solved another way (META/HTTP pragma directives) - see FAQs.

Hi

I found my problem. Works fine when I put <body> tags around the code

with regards to the caching problem we have the following at the top of all the pages
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Pragma" CONTENT="no-cache">
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Cache-Control" CONTENT="no cache">
but the proxy still caches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back