Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Submit form field so it is added to a list on a page.

Status
Not open for further replies.

orman

IS-IT--Management
Jun 14, 2001
US
Want to set up a signup form for golf tournaments. It will work like this: Someone will put their name in a field and click submit. Their name will then be added to a list of others who have already signed up, on another page (or on the current page.) Everyone can see everyone else who has signed up. Can someone give me a couple clues on this? What might I search for on that would help me write code to create this list?
Thanks.

For an experienced ASP programmer that's a trivial task. For a beginner it's fairly easy, but will take some time. If you're a total novice to ASP there's a fair bit to learn.

Basically you'll have one or two ASP pages, both of which use ADO (ActiveX Data Objects) to read and write to a database such as Microsoft Access. Depending on how you set it up, one page would likely be used to add new tournament participants (INSERTing data into a table in the database), and another will show a list of the existing participants (SELECTing information from the same table in the database).

It could also be done with a text file on the web server rather than a database, though strangely it's actually a bit more difficult. :)

Start with one of the many ASP tutorials on the net, such as the one from W3Schools:

You could also use XML. I guess I'm suggesting this cos I've been using it so much lately and have learnt to like it. It eliminates the need for a database, and in my opinion is easier than using a text file. However it still requires the use of ADO.

I apologise that I can't think of any links to tutorials, as I went searching for them once and ended up having to teach myself due to the lack of search results.

ASP:

ADO:

XML Document Object Model:

just foundational steps that might give you an idea of what to be reading over in the tutorials and faqs ...
[blue]items in blue are the subject areas each step will require[/blue]

you're going to need a database, and you'll need to know how to design the database to contain the fields you need, and datatypes of each. [blue]databse creation and table design, data types, data lengths [/blue]

you're going to need a submission form ( html or asp driven ) [blue]Form design and elements[/blue]

and a confirmation page (asp) to post the data to the database (inbound data) and this page would only be used to put the data into the DB and say thanks, show a link to the display page.... [blue]requesting form elements, ADODB connectivity, writing query/insert/update statements[/blue]

and finally a display page (asp) in order to show who's signed up from the database ( outbound data ) [blue]ADODB connectivity and recordset handling, looping, opening and closing objects[/blue]

hopefully that gives you an idea of the foundation blocks you'll need and what types if info to be reading and looking up

Thanks everyone. I will be looking over ALL the info and links.
Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back