Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Subject: finding out what sybase license has been installed.. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rr236

IS-IT--Management
Oct 23, 2000
GB
Hi,

Is there a way to find out what ASE license has been installed on a linux server.

We have an application that has been running for about 3 weeks. We are using sybase 11.9.2.6 on SUSE 8.0

We purchased a suitable ASE license, however we dont know if the sybase ASE server is running as an evaluation or developer version, or fully licensed version. How do we find out which version has been installed?

Is it possible to install our license without having to take the system down?

Also, is it true that sybase evaluation and devloper versions time out and if so, does anyone know how soon an ASE server product would stop working?

thanks
RR236

I will answer your questions as foolows:

Is there a way to find out what ASE license has been installed on a linux server?

Yes look at the sybase errorlog. Assuming that you are not running the license, there should be a statement like

00:00000:00000:2003/04/21 11:02:00.22 kernel Warning: There is no valid license for ASE server product. Server is booting with all the option features disabled.

If you run your sybase license first you can check the O/S to see if license manager is running. If that is the case you should get:

sybase@linux:/apps/sybase/sqlserver/1250/ASE-12_5/install% ps -auxww|grep lm
sybase 1268 0.0 0.0 1716 800 pts/0 S 15:28 0:00 /apps/sybase/sqlserver/1250/SYSAM-1_0/bin/lmgrd -c /apps/sybas
e/sqlserver/1250/SYSAM-1_0/licenses/license.dat -l /apps/sybase/sqlserver/1250/SYSAM-1_0/log/lmgrd.log

and your errorlog should say:

sybase@linux:/apps/sybase/sqlserver/1250/ASE-12_5/install% 00:00000:00000:2003/04/24 15:30:30.68 kernel Use license file /apps/sybase/sqlserver/1250/SYSAM-1_0/licenses/license.dat.
00:00000:00000:2003/04/24 15:30:30.70 kernel Checked out license ASE_SERVER

We purchased a suitable ASE license, however we dont know if the sybase ASE server is running as an evaluation or developer version, or fully licensed version. How do we find out which version has been installed?

There is no difference in Sybase evaluation and license versions as far as I know. System will run without a license forever. However, you will not be able to get any support or upgrade (patches etc) from Sybase

Is it possible to install our license without having to take the system down?

No once you have installed the license and started the sybase process (as I showed above), you need to shutdown and reboot the ASE. ASE will check if the license is running and will boot accordingly (as shown above). This is a static process and ASE needs to be rebooted!

Also, is it true that sybase evaluation and devloper versions time out and if so, does anyone know how soon an ASE server product would stop working?

No as I explained before ASE will not time out.

I hope you find these notes helpful and good luck

Yo Sybaseguru

You definatley know your stuff.

Stars all around.

Keep up the great work, your columns/posts are highly educational.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
For ease of reading, any posted CODE should be wrapped by [ignore][COLOR][/COLOR] and
Code:
[/ignore] tags.

Ex:
Code:
SELECT 1 from sysobjects

TGML reference: ]

Dear Friend,

Many thanks for your kind remarks. Much appreciated.

thanks for the info sybaseguru, however I think the info applies to version 12 rather than 11.92

11.92 doesn't have a license manager, and our errorlog doesnt show any licensing anomoly messages.

The sybase website indicates that the version 12.5 evaluation expires in 60 days, and I'm concerned that if we are running an evaluation/devlopers copy of 11.92, that we'll have to rebuild the sybase servers.

Does any know of a way to find out what license key has been used to install sybase 11.92.

thanks
rr236

I am surprised that you are still using Sybase 11.9.2 because this is a defunct product. I am pretty sure that there is no time bomb etc associated with ASE (whether version 11.9.2 or 12.5). However, is there any difficulty for you to upgrade to latest version like 12.5.0.3 where you can download from Sybase site? Obviously any developer download will not have a license key. Now if you are that concerned about losing your data (I assume taht your are using ASE 11.9.2 on LINUX, you can always backup the following on a periodic basis:

1) dump your user databases (daily)
2) bcp out your syslogins
3) do a script to produce sp_configure, sp_cacheconfig, select * from sysdevices, select * from sysdatabases and select * from sysusages plus sp_helpdb, sp_helpdevice etc on a daily basis say

Even if you lose your server (a big if!) you will be able to build it at typically a day's work provided you have all the info. Again I advise you to upgrade it to ASE 12.5.0.3. If you have two hosts, download ASE 12.5.0.3 and install it on that one and do migration of databases. However, I do not believe you will have any problem with license expiry, Sybase stop working etc.

Let me know if you need mor help

Hi,

Do I miss the question here? is it asking about "license" or "version" ? I just want some clarification here to understand more.

I wonder why don't you use the simple command to check for the sybase version then? Here is what I get from my machine:

1> select @@version
2> go
------------------------------------------------
Adaptive Server Enterprise/11.5.1.2/P/Sun_svr4/OS 5.5.1/SWR 9301 ESD 3/opt/Thu Nov 23 12:45:35 PST 2000
(1 row affected)

- and use sp_configure to check for connections (why connection because I assume you purchase for how many connection support?) if that you mean.

babeo

I want to know what license has been used.

I think 11.92 doesn't have the same strict rules as versio 12+ so I'm not expecting it to stop working (or refuse connections).

thanks
rr236

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back