Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Subject: End of Sale – New CS1000E Systems & Release 7.6 Software 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

vztech

Programmer
Jun 19, 2003
US
Old news I know .Sad sad days are ahead for us in the telecom field. Everything is moving to the cloud!
I was hoping to ride this field into retirement but it's not looking good.

I used to have super powers but my therapist took them away...

Yep, sad, but all good things must come to an end. I have been in the Telecom business as a tech since 1979. Started installing Nortel in 1991. We only have 1 still under a Maintenance Contract, I rarely touch the stuff any more. I have been doing Commercial and Residential Fiber to the Prem the last 2 1/2 years. It's OK, but I prefer to working on the PBX stuff. We are still selling Avaya and Shoretel and our own Cloud Based System. I will be 57 this summer, I was hoping to ride this gig out too, not sure I can though.

Yes, Avaya has discontinued the CS1000, but E-MetroTel has used their same team who developed CS1000 at Nortel to develop the UCx1000, so it is still alive in essence. The features work the same way, if not even better than they did on CS1000, especially with the Nortel Unistim IP phones and Meridian M2000/M3900 sets. And they offer the CS1000/UCx1000 software in the Cloud. I haven't tried the cloud yet, as I still like a piece of hardware, but I hope to get some potential users interested in it, so I can try it out.

Joseph Sus Jr. Nortel Emetrotel Consultant

At Avaya Engage this week, Avaya announced a Breeze plug-in that will allow UNIStim phones to connect to Aura.

It makes me sad to see most of these CS1000 systems not being pulled out and replaced with Avaya, but instead Cisco. Hell Aastra Mitel makes a good product too.

I think customers have had their fill of Nortel/Avaya. Their pricing is ridiculous to upgrade CS1000. You can almost fork lift the CS1000 and get all new phones with a different manufacturer for the price of an upgrade with old phones. I think the IPO is junk, don't know much about the CM. Seems Hosted is a good alternative for some and Shoretel seems to be solid.

Shame, 20 years invested in this platform & countless thousands on getting certified.

Oh well there is still bundles of it out there to keep most of us busy for the next 5 years. Luckily (or not) I started my move to the dark side (Cisco) over a year ago (it is S*#T) but there is so much of it & the cisco guys generally don't understand voice :) room for me to move in.

Remember if it doesn't work hit it harder

Scott UK

My vendor called me yesterday. [mad] I've been working on my CS1000 system for 10 years now.

Keep in mind End of Sale doesn't mean end of support. When it is no longer supported that's when it will get interesting.

I personally would support mine for another 10 years, the spares will be easily available for at least another 15 I reckon they'll start to get cheaper for a while.

Remember if it doesn't work hit it harder

Scott UK

I can honestly say after 38 years in the business I have never seen a PBX as reliable as a Nortel. Same goes for their Key Systems. They just keep going.

they are providing new firmware that will move the phones from unistim to SIP. The biggest problem with SIP is MADN extensions. This has been resolved and will be rolled out with the Breeze Terminal adapater. This way the phones will register directly to the Session Manager.

John Anaya
Amdocs Inc.
ACSS/ACIS - CS1000 Rls 7.5/Call Pilot 5
ACSS/ACIS - SME - IP Office 8.0
APSS/APDS - Avaya UC Services

Public Profile

I've tried the 1100 SIP phones out on my IP Office and I am just not satisfied with Avaya's SIP version of running these phones....

gone are the choices between 3 different key clicks....aka silence, short click or DTMF tone.

gone are a double ring for external calls and single ring for internal calls....all calls ring the same cadence whether internal or external.

The phones inherently run like a home analog phone. Transfer is laborious, parking is laborious. I am just not sold on it.

That's why I went with E-Metrotel...the phones seriously run exactly as they do on Unistim, and you can choose whether you want a BCM Feature key or CS1000 interace with softkeys on the display. You can customize pretty much any feature you want from key tones to call buzz to what appears on the phone when a call comes in. You can even control the cadence of incoming calls, short long, long short.

I am confused why you Nortel fans are ignoring it.

We have flashed a few 1100 series sets to SIP also and don't find them very useful beyond basic phone functionality. That's why the Breeze application for the UniStim version sounds promising since the rumor is they retain what their current functionality is.

Still pretty sad to hear this, the Nortel product is definitely far superior to the Avaya product. I cannot fathom all of those Nortel ring tones replaced with those bland awful 8 warble ring tones that originated from 1983 with the Merlin System and the System 75. Single tone, Up down, Up down Up, Down Up, Up Up Down, you get my drift. YUCK! I am seriously heart sick about it.

2024 is a fair way off.. Remember, the bigger customers are going to ask for tenders based on their own wish list. Those switched on will be looking for feature and functionality matches. The cloud is about pricing, only paying for what you use. The issue with hosted services, is the security and integrity and availability. On premise is essential for certain businesses, like emergence services call centres, hospitals and federal solutions. Reduced capex doesn't increase reliability or prevent vulnerabilities.

And as the bigger players change out their CS1000 solutions, the market place is going to be flooded with second user spares the smaller businesses can grab to maintain their solutions. The only thing in the market that will cause ANY grief for the TDM world, is if all service providers kill off traditional trunks,(analog, PRI BRI) and deliver only SIP via Fibre to premis.

But Hey.. when the lights go off at the fire station, that old copper analog line from the local exchange will get connected to the POTS set via the PFTU and service will be available.. The CLOUD has no answer to that simplicity of survivability..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back