Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Subform will not allow Record Additions 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissTinSC

Technical User
Apr 7, 2003
US
Help, please. I am trying to add a subform to a main form. The data for the main form comes from the ASlumnidatatbl. It is organized into "pages" on the main form. I have added another page onto which I have added a Financefrm subform. I used the wizard to create the subform to open, filtered, according to the AlumniIDs. This works fine.

The problem? When I go to add a new financial contribution via the Financefrm, I am not able to do so (I get a Windows "beep", but no written error message). I have checked the record locks - they are set to No for all forms involved.

I created the subform from a query. When it did not work, I create a command button that opens the Financetbl (the table that holds the records) filtered. Even this is not allowing record additions.

What am I missing?

THanks,
MissTinSC

When you say 'table that holds the records' do you mean a query? Because it sounds as if your subform is based on a query that is not updateable. This may be because you have joined tables and you do not have a unique index.

How are ya MissTinSC . . .

Agree with [blue]Remou[/blue]. Sounds like an indexing problem. In form, query, table view have a look at the [blue]addnew[/blue] button
AddNewEnabled.BMP
, if it has that disabled look
AddNewDisabled.BMP
then the [blue]recordset is not updateable[/blue].

[blue]Check your indexes/primarykeys![/blue]

Calvin.gif
See Ya! . . . . . .

Remou and TheAceMan1 -thanks for your replies to my question. You pointed me in the right direction and I was able to solve the problem. I had to recreate the Finance table to include an alumni id field that related to the AlumniDatatbl and AlumniID primary key. It is working.

Thanks again for your advice.

MissTinSC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back