Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Subform record selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

TadyB

Programmer
May 21, 2004
US
Hi everyone!
I know this has been answered before, but I can't find it!

I don't know VBA, so please be gentle!!

I have an Orders form/table (my main form)...a category subform...an item subform...and the order details subform.
I would like the category and item subforms to be data sheet.

Each item is assigned to a category.

I would like to be able to select a category in the first subform and have all the items in that category display in the item subform.

Then I would like to be able to double click on an item and have it entered into the order details subform.

Is this possible?

Thanks,
Stacey

Hi Stacy,

I would suggest taking a look at the sample data base that comes with Access called Northwinds.

Most of what you are trying to accompolish should be there. In addition, while reviewing the sample, you may come up with other iedas you hadn't thought about.

You may also want to take a look at the following article about normalization.

Good Luck!

An investment in knowledge always pays the best dividends.
by Benjamin Franklin
Autonumber Description - FAQ702-5106

Thank you...but that's not quite what I'm looking for. I'm trying to have a better/easier/quicker way to select items without the use of a dropdown list. I don't want the user to have to scroll through a bunch of items to find the one needed and do this repeatedly until the order is complete. I would like all items to be displayed and a double click would put that item into the order. I've seen it done, just don't know how to do it.

Thanks again,
Stacey

Hi,
Why not just recreate the form, using the form wizard and create them as datasheet, or right click on the form selector and change it to datasheet view. As a side note, you don't have to 'scroll' through a combo box in order to click on the value. If the users know the first letter or digits, they can start typing that in and then enter when the correct value comes up.
TC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back