Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Subform / Dropdown Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

lm0304

Technical User
Jan 16, 2002
US
I have a Machine Details Info Form, and within it, a Machine Details Subform that contains a dropdown in the field called "Design ID" (key). It is currently set so that when you choose a # value from the Design ID dropdown, it then fills in a Model and Category automatically.

I want the dropdown to be in the Model and maybe also the Category fields, and have the Design ID come up itself (which can still be a # because it is only being used as an identifier).

Don't know where to start! This was a database "handed down" to me to figure out and fix!!!!

If anyone can provide assistance, it would be greatly appreciated.

Okay.

You have a table with the fields, "Number", "Category" and "Model".

You have a combo box (your "dropdown") that displays all three fields. In the Format page of the property sheet, you designate how many fields (columns) will be displayed, the width of each column and the total width of the display. In the Data page of the property sheet for the combo box you select the field (column) that should be bound to the combo box (now, the "Number" field, and it should probably stay this way.)

In the "After Update" event for the combo box, you can fill in other text boxes with the Model and Category data.

If the combo box is working properly, selecting the correct record, etc., then all you want to do is change the way data is displayed on the form. To change the order that the fields appear in the combo box, change the order they appear in the query that controls the combo box, and adjust the widths in the property sheet.

If this doesn't help, be more specific about what you need, and I'll try to work through it with you (after Easter).

Gus Brunston :cool: An old PICKer, using Access2000. I manage Suggestions welcome. padregus@attbi.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back