Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sub reports in a main report with multiple report footers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyked

MIS
Jan 15, 2010
US
I've built a report that mimics a "dashboard" used by upper management as a monthly board report. I have lots of report foots for each line of data formatted something like this (see attachment)

What I want to do is insert a sub report using a different date range (previous month) in the blank area of the report, but the issue because of all the reporting footers I am using to display the data I'm running into issues.

Is there a way to accomplish this?

Thanks.

You haven't explained what the problem is.

-LB

You can't, that I have found, insert a report as a sub report across multiple rows, i.e. report footers. So I can't insert a sub report into the blank space in the middle (just left of the black line. This would show previous month: December, and its data). The insert sub report would go into one of the report footers, and distort the report.

If there is another way to accomplish this, I'm open to whatever.

Also, I thought about creating each side (current month and separate month) as sub reports, but either one has their own subreports already.

I see. Place the subreport it in its own footer, and then format the report footer section it is in to "underlay following sections".

-LB

Hmmm. When doing that it causes the subreport, which is only 2 pages, to span the whole of the report. So page one shows on page one. Instead of the logical second page of the sub report being on the second page of the main reports it displays in the last page (which is page 6 in this case) of the main report. Its all the way at the bottom of the report.

Is there a way around that?

What? If you are placing the subreport in a report footer, it will not show up on Page 1 unless the page 1 shows the report footer sections. The underlay would cause the subreport to display across the following report footer sections. You should be going into the section expert, selecting the report footer containing the subreport, and checking underlay only for that section. You implied that the sub would fit in a certain space on your current report, but I didn't have the impression it would be two pages worth. If the sub itself is displaying as expected, but is overlapping too far below, you can adjust the size of one of the sections below to accommodate this (assuming the size of the sub remains relatively static.

-LB

If I add it to a footer, lets say my top one, footer report footer A) RFA and do what you suggested (instead of in the pager header) checking the underlay box does nothing, it doesn't underlay the sub report. Keep in mind I have a lot of RF sections, like through RFAI.

Now, I'm think the more I play around with this the less it matters because my subreports have their own subreports...

Subreports cannot contain subreports, as you will soon find out. If you place a subreport in RF_a, and format RF_a to underlay following sections, the subreport will overlay the RF_b, RF_c and so forth until it is complete.

-LB

My apologies. The underlay will work if the sub displays all on one page. If it crosses pages the following sections are only unlaid on the last page the sub executes. If you knew how long the sub was going to be, you could place fields vertically (on the right) in one section instead of in multiple sections and format this section to underlay, with the subreport in the following section.

-LB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back