Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

su without password for non root user 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bikerboypete

Programmer
Jul 11, 2002
CA
Is it possible for a UNIX HP11 user other than root to be given the priviledge of the switch user (su) command without the need for a password to be specified?

I am told this is the case by our systems admin chap, which means I have to go in as root which is not really appropriate!

no, only root can do this this way
or you install + properly configure 'ssh' (secure shell) -----------
when they don't ask you anymore, where they are come from, and they don't tell you anymore, where they go ... you'r getting older !

Hi Pete,

have a look at thread60-396789 and thread80-283382 where I posted something regarding "sudo".

"sudo" ist a safe way to grant users certain rights. After the installation you have to edit the configuration file /etc/sudoers (which must be edited with the "visudo" command).

The following is a small example of the sudoers file which I also posted earlier.

Here it is specified which users can do "su - fred" without being prompted for freds's password by executing "sudo su - fred".

# sudoers file.
#
# This file MUST be edited with the 'visudo' command as root.
#
# See the man page for the details on how to write a sudoers file.
#
# Host alias specification
Host_Alias YOUR_HOST=mysunserver

# User alias specification

### UNIX_ADMIN: mrjazz
User_Alias UNIX_ADMIN=mrjazzUserID

### FRED_USERS: Ian, Mary, Charles, Mark
User_Alias FRED_USERS=ianUserID,maryUserID,charlesUserID,markUserID

# Cmnd alias specification

# User privilege specification

root ALL=(ALL) ALL

UNIX_ADMIN ALL=(ALL) /bin/ksh, /usr/local/bin/sudo, /usr/bin/su -

FRED_USERS YOUR_HOST=(root) NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/su - fred

Jamisar: I can logon to remote servers using the public/private key authentication and not the password authentication, but how can you "su" using ssh?

mrjazz [pc2]

Pete - See my FAQ on configuring sudo....

faq80-1623 Adam F
Solaris System Administrator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back