Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stupid Question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darrick

Technical User
Aug 28, 2001
US
I'm creating a report and printing it in landscape. I need to add more pages to the report. For instance, 1 report has 3 pages (Total of 33 inches accross the top.)

I can't figure out how to add the extra 22 inches so that I can continue placing my fields on the report.

Thanks,

Darrick
darrick3@yahoo.com

Why type of printer do you own that prints a 33" piece of paper?

If you go into Printer Setup, you can choose the Page Size to be Ledger, Legal, etc. None of those is 33" across.

I am not printing to 1 piece of paper that is 33 inches accross. I'm trying to make my report 3 standard 8 1/2 by 11 inches across. 1 piece of landscaped paper won't do it for my report. I need more room to add the fields across.

Does that make more sense?

Darrick

Darrick,

Sorry, I can't help you out but. Could you PLEASE possible help me?

I'm using VB6.0 with Crystal 7.0. Could you tell me how to IN VB CODE:

1) Generate a Report from data in Oracle Stored Proc.
Then
2) Export The Crystal Report as a .rpt file to a server.

This is a batch job (ie No user interface)!!

pleae post this as a new question in the Integration forum.

Darrick,

You can only do this directly with Cross-tabs. You might need 3 reports, each doing one page. You might be able to get the same result by using page breaks, but it is a long shot. Describe what your report does. Ken Hamady, On-site/Phone Crystal Reports Training/Consulting
Quick Reference Guide to using Crystal in VB

I assume you're trying to in CR what you can do in Excel, for example - side-by-side placement of the text. Don't know a way of doing it in 1 report without 'squishing' the report objects (fields, report headers, etc) down to 1 char wide then exporting the whole thing to Excel... ECS DataSystems, Inc.
A Crystal Partner

Hi EarlGary

I have done what you have suggested and it works quite well as long the report is just rows/columns and nothing fancy for headers.

I would create a standard Crystal look then at an option create a detail line which gave all fields in a column format for strictly export to Excel and that satisfied those that wanted the report...but wanted funny sorts or to do what-ifs on the data

jim

Yes EarlGary,

You know exactly what I'm trying to do. No problem, I'll just have to figure a way to make it into 3 different reports.

What is Jim (Ngolem) talking about?

Thanks again,

Darrick

If the sole purpose is to squish each field down to one character so that you can make a 33" wide report and export it to Excel, why don't you just skip Crystal Reports?

You can create a new Excel file and populate it directly from VB. There are examples in a lot of books and web sites.

Thanks Balves, but that isn't my goal. I simply wanted to know how to make a report 3 pages wide much like you can do in Excel.

Darrick
darrick3@yahoo.com

Ok...I understand what you want...there may be a way through the use of subreports.

Each subreport would report 1/3 of the data in a landscape mode. You would place each subreport to follow the other as sections of a footer and suppress all other lines.

If each subreport ran more than one page you would have to assemble the pages accordingly...you could not collate the pages (unless perhaps if you placed the reporting subreports into the footer of a group)

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back