Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stupid question about Linux!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kakkarotto

Technical User
Oct 7, 2003
GB

Sorry for posting here, couldn't find a PC software - General discusion.
I am considering changing over to Linux, simply because I'm not a fan of the microsoft corporation. I have a few concerns though. Firstly will all my applications definately work with Linux including games. Secondly, which version do I use, as I won't be using for any major operations, mainly gaming and I'd want one thats easy to use.
Anyone out there thats recently gone over? Let me know what you thought and how its working out for you!

gone over for a week and now coming back to xp. There is a linux forum where you can ask these questions. They are very helpful which is rare to find with linux users as they tend to be eliteist.

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

The best place to find the answer is forum619, but to briefly answer your questions: No, most (if any) of you windows games will not work under linux even with a windows emulator. You can also find serveral discussions about which distrobution is best . There is no answer for this - everyone has their own opinion.

The ONLY way you will get your Windows apps (including games) to work on linux is to use an emulator (ex. Wine) in linux. And why would you want to do that????? Esp. if your new to linux.

IMHO, linux is good for exploring new OS. You can do all the internet stuff you want (emailm web browse, etc). However the linux apps that emulate the same Windows, in muy opinion, are not as good or complete as their Windows counterpart.

I have installed SUSE Linux on an XP BOX and found it worked pretty well. It depends what you want to do in Linux. SUSE is less customizable in some ways. It is harder to recompile the Kernal, but SUSE is very stable. Some Linux types like other Flavors (Versions) of Linux Distros that leave everything configurable and up to the user like RED Hat. I think most Linux people have their favorit Distro.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Thanks a lot guys. I think by this I'll keep windows running for my games and stuff. However I do want to try Linux so I'll load it on a partition or possibly on a second PC altogether just to get an idea of what else is available.
First I'll find out some more info on the forum619 as per SMAH.

If you visit you can download an image of a bootable Linux CD. That way you can try Linux without changing anything - it runs completely from the CD. Just make sure you follow the instructions to burn the CD properly.

Nelviticus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back