Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stupid Questiojn - 2500 Port

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArchTelecom

IS-IT--Management
Jan 8, 2003
US
Hello,

I do not normally work on Definity systems, but a remote site of mine has one and claims that they have dial tone on a 2500 port but can not call in or out. They believe it is because a number is not assigned to it.

Question: Is this possible? Will the Definity supply dial tone to a 2500 port even if it is not configured, or should I look for another problem (the set).

Thx

Never heard of that before. Could be a weird COR setup. Yes try changing out the set first. If that no work, see if someone can tone the circuit back to the MDF. Locate the line location and then do a 'disp port 09A0321' This port is just an example Cabinet (09), Carrier (A), Card (03), Port (21).

Gary L. Smith
Telephone Systems Engineer
The University of Mississippi
Telecommunications Department

IF TTI (Terminal Translation Initialization) is enabled, you can have dial tone on a phone that does not have an extension assigned to the port. Chances are, they can dial 0 but nothing else. When calling zero, the attendant would be able to see the port that is calling. TTI in the extension or assign the port to an extension.

Thanks,

Wildcard

It sounds like TTI may be enabled, but, in this case, no matter what they dial from the set they receive a reorder tone as soon as they hit any digit. They have now swapped sets, same problem. They can not dial "0" either. Any ideas?

Look at the "li do " group or stations and see if someone turned off the station of cOR.

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something."
(Plato)

change the tti password, give them the tti code, tti password, and station number, then change the password back when they are done.

-CL

I think a little bit of clarification is necessary... are they getting a wave-off tone when they attempt to dial or is it never accepting the DTMF tones?

If it is the former, then the problem is most likely that there is no extension assigned (the TTI problem everyone has mentioned). If they get a dialtone, but can't dial because the system doesn't seem to "hear" the tones, then you have a wiring issue.

-Brian-
Semper Paratus

Actually, it seems that they want to be able to make calls from this phone, right? Why not assign an extension to it?

In our site we can make calls internally with TTI ports. If you look on page 3 of system-parameters features (type the command "ch sys fe"), there is a field for "Default COR for Dissociated Sets."

If you want, you can change that to a COR which your normal stations use. Then, you don't have to have a station assigned to the phone in question, the TTI port will be able to make calls.

By no means am I an expert, but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express :)

Our phone system is configured to send dial tone to existing phone lines, however to activate the phone line the TTI dialing code must be dialed followed by a new extension.

For example. A new user has a phone with dial tone, but cannot dial in/out. We would "add station next" in the switch and it would give us a new extension to use...ext. 1688. We configure that extension with the phone type and X the port. We then give the new extension 1688 to the user and have them pick up the phone, dial the TTI code (you can see what yours is by "disp feature" and look for "Terminal Translation Initialization Merge Code:"). So the user would dial (TTI)1101 + (New ext)1688, hang up and phone should be good.

Try that.

Well, I slept at the Holiday Inn Express last night also...in Texas...Scary

They do indeed want to be able to use it to make/rcv calls. They get the dial done, when they depress a key on the dial pad, the systems collects the first digit and then sends a reorder rone (maybe wave-off, I am not there)immediately. No other digits are accepted.

Have you checked out what your TTI code is? You can do it by typing "disp feature". Then you look for the feature called, Terminal Translation Initialization Merge Code (TTI).

Is the user dialing the TTI code, and it's still not excepting it? Try dialing the TTI code + 1 + extension.

As soon as they hit any key, they get the reorder tone....can they continue to dial the code during the reorder tone or is that a sign of immediate rejection.

Go to page 2 or 3 of the system parameters form and change the default COR of PSA dissasociated sets to something that will let them make a call. Then have them dial any internal extension with a display. The display will show the port of the analog phone. Program a new 2500 station using that port. Go back to the system parameters screen and remove the COR.

-CL

try tracing the wire to the MDF , then disp port ,chances are ther is no translation for that port,add the station translations and you should be set.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back