Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

STUPID PROBLEM IN WINDOWS EXPLORER CAN T ACCESS SERVER FILES

Status
Not open for further replies.

isibee

IS-IT--Management
Jul 29, 2003
CA
Here is the problem, I don t know if it s my boss' doing or what but it seems that he cannot access the network places on his laptop via VPN. He connects fine but when he wants to connect to the server by the windows explorer to get to work, all it does is open an internet explorer window and therefore no access to his files.

Is there anything I can do?
I tried it myself and typed 192.168.x.x in windows explorer and ended up in internet explorer.

This is priority one! nothing else matters :(

Can anyone help?
thanks

thanks,
Josée Parent
(photo gallery)

"There is no 'patch' for stupidity!"

Try using the server UNC in Explorer's address bar (e.g. \\servername or \\servername\sharename) or use Search, Find, Printers, computers, or people and explore from there.

Yes I tried that but he wants to see his files and folders at one glance in the windows explorer. The odd thing is, that it should work when you type in an address...

thanks,
Josée Parent
(photo gallery)

"There is no 'patch' for stupidity!"

You don't necessarily have to use \\servername, but the problem is the same for me: windows explorer doesn't know what 192.168.x.x is, and it assumes it's an IP address you want to view via the web.

If you do \\192.168.x.x, it should work as you expect, though.

Both disord3r's \\192.168.x.x and my suggestion of \\servername work from Windows Explorer. I guess I am misunderstanding what "he wants to see his files and folders at one glance" means. I get a list of folders and files like any other Windows Explorer window gives you when using either method.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back