Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stupid(est) news comment of all

Status
Not open for further replies.

SantaMufasa

Technical User
Jul 17, 2003
US
As I read Tracey's thread "Stupid news comment", it reminded me of the most outrageous news faux pas I ever encountered. It was several years ago following the tragic murder outside her London flat of beloved British TV news presenter, Jill Dando.

I was reading an edition of "The Metro" (the free newspaper distributed on the London Underground). They showed a photo of Ms. Dando leaving her London flat. The caption read, "Police were unable to determine whether the photo was taken before or after her murder."

Excuse me???

Are there other brain-tilting or outrageous Jay Leno-style "Headlines" out there that you have witnessed?

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
@ 18:31 (28Feb05) UTC (aka "GMT" and "Zulu"),
@ 11:31 (28Feb05) Mountain Time
Do you use Oracle and live or work in Utah, USA? Then click here to join Utah Oracle Users Group on Tek-Tips.

That's priceless, unless of course, we're talking about time-lapse photography. :-D

Good Luck
--------------
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

I didn't realize that London had Keystone Kops too! ;-)

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red]Be advised:[/red] The dyslexic, agnostic, insomniac, lays awake all night wondering...
"Is there really a DOG?" [tongue][/sub]

Well, there's always the New York Post classic "Headless Body in Topless Bar."
Thanks!
Elanor

SantaMufasa,

Do you remember the (unintentional) printing faux pas that appeared on the cover of the Radio Times the week that Jill Dando was murdered?

Jill was pictured on the front cover, in full leathers, standing in front of a nice Aston Martin... in an advert for a new antique show, I believe.

On the back cover was an advert for a book club, doing a special on murder-related books.

So if you opened the RT flat, you saw the caption, something like "Time for a purfect murder?" right next to a picture of Jill.

Now what were the chances of that?

...And unfortunately, so far, Jill's demise has turned out to be "The Perfect Murder".

BillyRay, it makes you wonder why papers are even paying senior editors, huh.

[santa]Mufasa
@ 17:18 (02Mar05) UTC (aka "GMT" and "Zulu"),
@ 10:18 (02Mar05) Mountain Time

Do you use Oracle and live or work in Utah, USA? Then click here to join Utah Oracle Users Group on Tek-Tips.

I've never traced the original of Iraqi Head Seeks Arms, but it seems a nice match for the 'Topless Bar'.

------------------------------
An old man [tiger] who lives in the UK

Another classic "duh":

Cold Wave Linked to Temperatures

Me transmitte sursum, Caledoni!

The Company I work for issues a news magazine each month. There was a piece written about a seminar that our Chief Exec had attended and the eminent David Blunkett was a guest speaker.

There was a lovely picture of Mr Blunkett sitting on the platform listening to other speakers with the headline along the lines of......

"Chief Executive delivers his speech as David Blunkett looks on."

Those of you who aren't aware...David Blunkett is blind.

Good points all, Susan (in the link you provided). The point they didn't make and the one that resolves my consternation is that a visually impaired bank patron certainly can sit in the passenger seat directly behind the driver to independently conduct their Braille banking transaction from the comfort of the vehicle. Voilà !

[santa]Mufasa

Do you use Oracle and live or work in Utah, USA?
Then click here to join Utah Oracle Users Group on Tek-Tips.

From today's "Nuisance & Disturber:"

[blue] ...former site of the 1964 World's Fair...[/blue]

Where, pray tell, is the current site?

Tim

[blue]_____________________________________________________
If you need immediate assistance, please raise your hand.
If you are outside of Raleigh, raise your hand and say
[/blue] [red]Ooh! Ooh![/red]

Let's see, the current site of the 1964 World's Fair is ... wait ... it's on the tip of my tongue ...

Good Luck
--------------
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

What about the woman from the graduate dying the night it was shown on iTv?

Flushing Meadows?

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red]Be advised:[/red]To be safe on the FOURTH, don't take a FIFTH on the THIRD, or...
You might not come FORTH on the FIFTH! [bomb][tongue][/sub]

On the David Blunkett thang, I believe he resigned as a minister over a tryst of sorts, however, it wasn't all bad, apparently he's being head hunted for the role of manager at Milan (3-0 ahead, to lose to Liverpool in European Champions Final) on that grounds that although he's blind, at least he knows how to hold on to a lead ;-)
--Paul

cigless ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back