Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stumped

Status
Not open for further replies.

scdmh

Programmer
Oct 31, 2007
US
This has been driving me crazy for a long time now andit keeps cropping up. I need to find out how many patients were in the hospital between two dates.

I need to set up a crosstab report based on months:
Jan Feb Mar Apr
Hospital A
Hospital B

I have an admission date and a discharge date. I need to test whether the Month/year in the crosstab is between the admission and discharge dates. If so then I want to count that patients. I have racked my brain and I can't figure this one out. I hope someone has a solution for me.

Thanks,
Dianne

sounds like you need to set up a test for the date for each month.
Something like this.
//{@Jan}
numbervar ja;
IF (month({table.AdmDate})=1 or month({table.DisDate})=1) then ja := ja +1 else ja := ja;

The easiest way to do this is in the database. If you are using SQL Server there is a PIVOT function which will allow you to pivot data against a dummy Month table.

You could then report off a command using such a query.

Ian

I'm not sure. Let's say I have a record where the admission date = 12/1/1995 and the discharge date = 2/15/1996 (this is a long-term hospital). My crosstab dates are, for each month, 7/1/1995 through 6/30/1996.

The crosstab would indicate "1" for Dec, Jan, and Feb. The other months would be "0".

I would use conditional formulas like this:

//{@Jan}:
if {table.admissiondate} <= date({?year},1,31) and
(
isnull({table.dishargedate}) or
{table.dischargedate} >= date({?year},1,1)
) then
{table.patientID} else
tonumber({@null})

...where {@null} is a new formula that you open and save without entering anything.

Insert a group on hospital and then insert a distinctcount on formulas like the above if you want the patient counted only once per month (even if multiple submissions) or you could insert a count if you wish (as long as data isn't duplicated). Remove the tonumber() is patientID is a string.

Then suppress the detail section and GH and drag the groupname into the group footer.

-LB

PS. In the future, please try to use thread titles that identify the issue so that the topic can be easily searched.

-LB

Thanks. This really helps.
Dianne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back