Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

STUCK ON SQL FOR QUERY 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

PEASLET

Technical User
May 22, 2001
GB
Hi, I'm a bit stuck; I have a table of clients & I have another table of Client IDs which I do not want to be included in a promotion.
All I want to do is make another table which excludes the second table. In the ContactsID criteria field, I have been trying statements like:
WHERE [Client Details2].[ContactsID] NOT LIKE [Other Table].[ContactsID]

But obviously have it completely wrong as I'm not getting anywhere!!
Can anyone help ....please as I need this done before I go away later on today.

Try this:

Select [ClientDetail2].[ContactsID] From [ClientDetails2] Left Join [Other Table] on [ClientDetails2].[ContactsID] = [Other Table].[ContactsID] WHERE [Other Table].[ContactsID] Is Null

Thanks for your speedy response - I've tried it & and have an 'incorrect subquery syntax, enclose subquery in parentheses' error - any ideas as to where this could be going wrong?

Did you try exactly what I posted or does your query include other syntax too? If it does, please post your whole query?

On further examination, I have found that if I put brackets around it, it seems to work although I then get a 'no record' error. I think this may be something to do with the 'is null' clause as none of the contactsID fields are null. Is there any other clause I could replace it with that would mean 'not the same as'?

It is this:

(Select [Client Details2].[ContactsID] From [Client Details2] Left Join [Growth Cos ContactsID] on [Client Details2].[ContactsID] = [Growth Cos ContactsID].[ContactsID] WHERE [Growth Cos ContactsID].[ContactsID] Is Null)

Just pasted from yours with table names changed

Try:

Select [Client Details2].[ContactsID]
From [Client Details2]
WHERE [Client Details2].[ContactsID] NOT IN
(
SELECT [Growth Cos ContactsID].[ContactsID]
FROM [Growth Cos ContactsID]
) Terry M. Hoey

It looks right Terry, but I've got the syntax...parantheses error again...

Now I have put some more brackets in (at the beginning and at the end) and it is bringing up the error:

'A subquery of this kind cannot return more than one record. Revise the SELECT statement of the subquery to request only one record.'

Hmmm.... what do you think?

Why don't you try your Find Unmatched query wizard and look at the SQL it produces?

Just a thought.

By the way, I've done it .... Find unmatched query wizard!!!
Thanks for your help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back