Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stuck in MS-DOS mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

marquitico

Technical User
Aug 11, 2004
US
I recently restarted into DOS mode to run an old DOS-based program, but upon restarting the computer I find that I am stuck cycling endlessly in DOS mode. It doesn't reboot back into Windows. The only way I can get into Windows is in Safe mode, and my old config.sys and autoexec.bat files are nowhere to be found. Any help greatly appreciated!!

Windows98 SE
AMD Athlon 1.1 GHz

Mark
(marquitico)

Unless you are doing something special, there doesn't need to be an autoexec or config.

msdos.sys still exist? This in root with SHR attributes. Options there tell the system how to boot.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

boot into safe mode and find the file dosstart.bat in C:\WINDOWS and rename it to .old or something.
Run Scandisk in DOS Mode first and then again in Safe Mode. Config.sys and Autoexec.bat are in C:\ (Root) - not in C:\Windows.

If you can't find them, look for same named files with diff extensions - such as .syd (backups of those two files when edited with sysedit) perhaps even extensions like .bak , .pss , .wos files

In DOS (Boot to a command prompt using win98 startup menu) and from C:\ type Edit Config.sys -
also could DIR /p /o:n to view C:\ drive contents.

one more thing - find and rename the DOS Program App EXE -- or "delete" ONLY the 'Shortcut to MS-DOS program' PIF file that launches THAT DOS App

A "Restart in Ms-dos mode" is real/true/pure DOS and creates a Dosstart.bat file in WINDOWS that it uses -- the DOS APP you're trying to use should "most likely" be run in Virtual DOS mode (aka DOS box, or DOS Prompt box. You'd launch a virtual DOS on top of Windows when it's already running - perhaps this is what you should do to use that program once you get Full Windows back). The App most likely screwed/changed your REAL config.sys and autoexec.bat files instead of creating new specific entries for itself only to use when launched.

The settings in the App "Shortcut" >> Program Tab >> Advanced Button contains Config.sys and Autoexec.bat boxes for "specific" Dos mode settings --
For an idea of what I mean - view the Properties of "MS-DOS Mode for Games with EMS and XMS Support" shortcut found in C:\WINDOWS

btw - on my 98 box, I have and use quite a few settings in BOTH of those files, yet edfair's correct in saying "not necessary" to boot, but some device drivers require entries here to function at all.

TT4U

Notification:
These are just my thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs

When it boots into DOS mode, type exit, hit enter and it should reboot into Windows.

Thanks, all. A few notes:

Typing "exit" simply reboots back into DOS mode.

The DOS program I wanted to run is irrevelant: I never actually ran it. After entering DOS mode I changed my mind and decided to try it in a DOS window. This is when I found myself stuck in DOS mode. I am using a different computer to check this thread.

Dosstart.bat does not exist.

Thank you, folks.

Mark
(marquitico)

Dosstart.bat does not exist
If you Shutdown >> choose "Restart in MsDos mode" it will...perhaps give it a go....oh you can't....oh yes you can from Safe mode?....or are only Shutdown and Restart available in safe mode...i forget now exactly

Did you ever Configure the App to run ?
Anything?
Do you install any part of it? or make any changes getting the system 'ready' for it?
The parameters in there (EXE and/or PIF) need to be found and changed.
Right click the Program Shortcut or EXE/PIF and click Program tab and Advanced button and tick MSDOS mode and "Use current Msdos configuration"...or just Rename the files to .old
Go into Safe Mode and find Restart.pif - same thing - tick MSDOS mode and "Use current Msdos configuration"

How did you originally "enter" into DOS mode

TT4U

Notification:
These are just my thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.

also Run Scandisk in DOS and also again in Safe Mode

TT4U

Notification:

Mark - did you check out msdos.sys as suggested by ed earlier in this thread? is a reasonable reference site (eg, if you have BootGUI=0).

btw - what happens if you type win at the dos prompt?

Problem solved!! Although I don't know what caused it in the first place.

I found a hard copy of my config.sys and autoexec.bat files buried deep in my desk, typed them in with Edit, and presto, back in working order.

For TT4U: I had originally entered MS-DOS mode simply from the shutdown procedure: Restart in MS-DOS mode.

The application that I wanted to run (but never did) was one that had been on my system for years. It was NOT a new thing, so its installation could not have changed any current settings. It is an old DOS-based virus scanner, by the F-Protect people. Booting out to MS-DOS mode and running the scanner is something I have done a lot. On this occasion, just as I was about to run the scanner I realized that I had not downloaded any new virus definitions, so I wanted to return to Windows mode to do so, come back to DOS, and then run the scanner. I never made it out of DOS.

For Wolluf: typing WIN and EXIT at the command prompt produced the same result: I rebooted back into DOS mode. And oddly enough, msdos.sys had BootGUI=1. Weird!

I see that I wrote, "After entering DOS mode I changed my mind and decided to try it in a DOS window." This is indeed true, but I must have had a brain fart at that moment! After much reflexion I remember now the reason why I had developed the habit of running the scanner in DOS to begin with: the distributors of the program caution that running in a DOS window ran the risk of producing false negative results from the newer generation of viruses that knew how to hide while in Windows. Indeed, this old warhorse has found one virus and two pieces of malware for me while run out in native DOS, all of which were missed by AVG and SpyBot.

Thank you everyone. The question is now academic. The problem has not recurred, and I have booted out to DOS several times now with no anomalies. But it would be nice to know what can cause this!! I had not installed any new software to my system for several weeks, so there were no new settings that may have caused conflicts.

Best,

Mark
(marquitico)

well - it seems you hav specific entries in the config and autoexec files that are neccesary for win to load.....
want to post those files' contents?

also Do a find for Restart and locate a Restart.pif file - view it's properties >> program tab >> advanced and see that "Use Ms-dos mode" is ticked, and "Use current ms-dos configuration" is selected...if it is not like this - post back with differences.

also - is F-Prot on a Floppy (were you inadvertantly booting to a floppy? by leaving it in the Disk drive and unaware that perhaps A:\ (or removeable drives) is selected as "First Boot Device" in the BIOS?).

see if you can locate a dosstart.bat file in WINDOWS - now the you've successfully restarted in dos mode from the shutdown menu.

wonder if you have Envrionment variables, such as SET TEMP = and others (like Shell= ) located in config.sys/autoexec.bat - also curious to know what else resides in your msdos.sys file (besides the xxxxxx's, not those)...could post the SET contents, run from an MSDOS prompt Box.

TT4U

Notification:

My regular setup:

Config.sys

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS /V
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE RAM /V
DOS=HIGH,UMB
DEVICEHIGH=C:\CDPRO\VIDE-CDD.SYS /D:MSCD001
FILESHIGH=60

Autoexec.bat

@C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVG6\bootup.exe

But when I am in MS-DOS mode it is:

Config.sys

DOS=SINGLE
DOS=HIGH,UMB
Device=C:\WINDOWS\Himem.Sys

Autoexec.bat

@ECHO OFF
SET TMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
SET TEMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
SET PROMPT=$p$g
SET winbootdir=C:\WINDOWS
SET PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND
REM
REM The following lines have been created by Windows. Do not modify them.
REM
C:
CD C:\WINDOWS
CALL C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM
C:\WINDOWS\WIN.COM /WX

Most of this stuff is pretty ordinary. The single line in my regular Autoexec.bat file is the AVG antivirus bootup scanner checking memory and the boot sector.

Question: in my MS-DOS mode Autoexec.bat file, what are the "/WX" switches for in the WIN.COM line?

Anyway, Windows98 does the switcheroo all by itself. Somehow, when I got stuck, it "lost" my original info and couldn't switch back, or something.

F-PROT is on the harddrive. Running F-PROT in MS-DOS mode is something I have done for years with no trouble of any kind. I did not boot from the floppy (good idea, though). I have not used my floppy drive in ages; I don't even have a bootable floppy diskette (unwise, I know).

There is still no dosstart.bat.

Mark
(marquitico)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back