Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

stuck in a career

Status
Not open for further replies.

cid1

MIS
Jun 5, 2001
US
I'm 27 and I currently have been in IT for the past five years. I am a product of "in house training" for a large company, I've had very little college but I have always seemed to keep up with the times. Right now I am a field service technician, which means I travel a great deal to do simple upgrades, train, or basic troubleshooting. I am very good at my job, out-preforming many people with a 2yr or 4yr CS degree and my pay reflects that. Translated "I know more than Excel, Word, and Everquest."

The problem that I have is that I don't really feel like my career is going in the direction that I want it to. I work with many lazy college graduates that think that they are GOD and deserve 60,000 right out of school when they constantly come to me and other vetrans for help, only to jump ship to another company right after they are trained. I do read threads here quite a bit and it seems like MSC along with other certifications are a joke. I would like to take some classes but my schedule changes too much to take any real college like courses. Are there any CREDIBLE college courses that I could take online or in my own time. I do know that experience counts for someting but I don't want to be stuck on the road or have to step back to an entry level postition in the next five years to get off of the road.

I have applied for many other jobs (non-travel) and they either are not interested because my lack of education is a "Risk" or they cannot even come close to what I currently make. Is there another solution other than taking a step back for a few years while I go to school and sit through boring classes that I could probably teach?

CID1

Cid1

I guess this is a common problem. If I was you I would decide what specific area you want to branch into.

Don't get too hung up on certs and qualifications initially after all you've got industry experience already. Instead decide what you want to do and take specific courses, read books, practice in labs and become an expert in some specific area.

If you become a guru in a certain area - I'm sure opportunities will open up for you - somewhere. Take courses for knowledge sake initially and passing the relevant certs will be easy.

Just my thoughts,

Cheers

yes but it sounds like cid1 may want to look at a manger postion if so maybe a major in cs and a minor in ba but the qustion of good school to attend? thats a hard one gunthnp
Have you ever woken up and realized you where not alive.

Just a suggestion Cid

It is time for you to retire - not physically but internally. You are NOT your job - that is not your legacy to the world. Instead, decide to switch jobs within your company every 2 years and try something new. This way you will not be stuck feeling like you do.

gunthnp:

yes if he want's to go that way - sure. Mind you 5 years is not that long if you're interested in the technology - if you become an expert in a particular field that avenue can open up anyway. I've had about 14 years in IT and don't feel the need to go into management - I'm just not into that stuff. Saying that the better you get the more chance you have to move into management if that's what you want.
Besides - a real expert in a certain technology can get paid more than a manager anyway if that's your goal.

PTcruiser:
Perhaps a different viewpoint but fair enough. I personally disagree if you enjoy something why switch every two years - why not progress in what you're doing. If you don't like it then yeah move on !

I suggest that you first lose the attitude. Believing that you are better than everyone and that you have nothing to gain by going to college is a sure sign that you need to get a grip on reality. No one knows it all and that includes people with five years experience.

If you are really good, go to college and learn something else. Stay away from a BS in computers of any sort. When you are done, jump back into IT. If you do, I will guarantee you that you will have a completely different perspective on problem solving and on people who come from different backgrounds. Only do this if you are really good in IT. Four years off to study something different won't hurt someone who is a natural at IT. If you are not really all that good, then go study IT. I would not want to be responsible for ruining anyone's life.

By the way, I have a BS in Chemistry and an MS in Operations Research. I find IT to be easy too. It beats the daylights out of Chemistry and I don't have to work nearly as hard as when I was in school.

i think pt might be on the right track for you cid. in your relationship with your company to you find yourself just maintaining whats there/or do you actually look at what/how the company is doing and looking for ways to make it better?

i started my current job about five years ago, and have been steadily improving and integrating systems ever since.
if you really feel your at a dead end at your current job. i would suggest a few business courses sounds like you know enough about computers you may have the need to grow into management or at least feel your having a bigger impact on the company.

Geez,

I could only wish I had your problem. As a manager, consultant and programmer with over 10 combined years of experience, I have been laid off for over 6 months with no sign of a interested employer in site. Sometimes you need to take a good hard look at what you got, before you find out what you HAD wasn't so bad...

petersdaniel@hotmail.com
"If A equals success, then the formula is: A=X+Y+Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." --Albert Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back