Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

stuck in 16 colours 640-480

Status
Not open for further replies.

mal1882

Technical User
Jun 11, 2004
GB
im Stuck in 16 colours 640-480, i just installed a geforce mx4000 v64 and was trying to get it to work all weekend and then it started to work i dont know what i done, i entered win and started playing games which worked perfectly and then i done something which has made it go back to the way it was before and if i try to put the res up and then restart win loads and i can see the card is working at the password screen but then the moniter goes to standby or something and it wont come back on, i then have to reboot in safe mode then change back to 16 colours, restart and i get in to win again but not with the card working. please help ive been going round in circles and going insane!!

specs

1.3 duron
20gb
pcchips m810 mobo
256 ram
(Aopen geforce4 mx4000 v64 64mb which im trying to get to work)
win 98 se

mal1882
One word! Resolution! when in safe mode take your resolution down to smething safe like 800x600 then reboot.
Otherwise start from the very beginning and remove the geforce drivers and start from scratch again.
Note* you should also have set first display (in the bios) to AGP not onboard.
Martin

Start by questioning and soon you will be answering.
So please take but remember to return and give when you can.

here's another few words - video drivers. sounds like you have not installed the correct video drivers for the card. suggest removing the card from device manager - reboot and let the pc detect the card.

i had the same problem!
I took a look at the graphics chip on my mother board.
There should be a manufacturers name plus product no.
E.g SIS6261 or something simmilar i then went to and found the driver for this chip and the graphics card then started working.
You should be able to get at least 16 bit color and change your resolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back