Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stuck at "Discover 192.168.x.x"

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZadroSolutions

IS-IT--Management
Oct 7, 2009
US
I think I have everything setup correct, but I can't find the problem. Here's the setup below.

Main Location:
IPO - 192.168.127.50
Gateway - 192.168.127.1

Remote Location:
Subnet - 192.168.2.x

I have an "IP Route" in the IPO as follows:
Ip - 192.168.2.0
Mask - 255.255.255.0
G/W - 192.168.127.1
Dest - LAN1

The VPN between the offices is IKE on Phase1 and IPSec on Phase 2.

I can ping the phone from the IPO side and I can ping the IPO from the remote side.

The phone downloads both 46xxupgrade.scr and 46xxsettings.txt

Then is ask for ext, which I have setup correctly.

Then stuck at "Discover 192.168.127.50"

Please help!!

This happens as the gatekeeper packets on ports 1718, 1719 or 1720 are blocked or mis routed by the firewalls or VPN routers.
Initially the first registration of a ip phone goes through port 1718, once registered the phone communicates with "keep alive" packets to the IPO on post 1719

Depends on the VPN setup i guess, i am not familiar with creating VPN connections but i have seen it happen before on VPN connections so i assume it can be blocked.

what firewall / router are you using?

if its a cisco - make sure that there are no inspection maps for h323 (or any if your VPN traffic either)

port 1718 1719 and 1720 are blocked as per intrigrant. He is 110% correct.

I have a Symantec on the main side, SonicWall on the remote end. I assume you guys are referring to port mapping to the TFTP as inbound routes for 1718-20??

It has nothing to do with tftp !
Speech uses UDP
You need to be sure that the UDP packets for ports 1718,1719 and 1720 are free to go :)

Check if the sonicwall is on the latest firmware
It can give problem if it is not

ACS - Implement IP Office
ACA - Implement IP Telephony -- ACA - Design IP Telephony
ACA - Voice Services Management

UDP packets are free to go where? All to All mapping on those ports? That doesn't sound right. I need to map the ports to somewhere...no?

Free to go means to the ipoffice and to the phone's ofcourse :)

ACS - Implement IP Office
ACA - Implement IP Telephony -- ACA - Design IP Telephony
ACA - Voice Services Management

In particular the part about allowing h.323

Routers are famous for blocking the aforementioned ports. You have to go into the router and specifically tell it to knock it off. The fact that a router is not set to block anything is NOT good enough.

Around here we have seen people with this issue post here for years. It is always the same cause and solution. Don't know how your situation would be different.

First thing to look for on any SonicWall is the VoIP tab and make sure that H.323 Transformations IS NOT enabled.

Kyle Holladay
ACA-I, ACA Call Center, ACS-I, ACS-M,
ACE Implement: IP Office
TIA-CTP, MCP/MCTS Exchange 2007
Adtran ATSA, Aruba ACMA

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason why so few engage in it." - Henry Ford

Thanks for all the comments! The sonicwall pdf was especially helpful. I will not have a chance to try these new changes until next week. I will keep you posted with my results.

Disabled h.323 transformations and updated the sonicwall firmware. I was able to log in and all the buttons work. Now, if I can only hear voice...???

You know seem to have the same problem with the RTP stream for voice - cant remember the ports off the top of my head bu in the region 49xxx to 53xxx for the IP Office, UDP.
These need to be allowed through the FW
Dave

UK Based IP Office Discussion

Twitter twitter.com/davea66
MSN davea123ATlive.co.uk

Re-check the static ip settings, small mistake?!

Also you could try to change the iproute, but i doubt that it will help.

0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0/192.168.12.7.1/LAN1

Is you VPN connected to LAN1 or LAN2?

Avaya_Red.gif

Dain Bramaged

Got it!! Disabled fast start on the VoIP ext. Never had to mess with any ports on either firewall. Thanks for all your help guys!!

Nice, glad you did get it working.

Avaya_Red.gif

Dain Bramaged

Why did you enable that anyway? It is turned off by default and should only be used for non-Avaya ip telephones.

You're correct intigrant. It is needed for Phone Manager and I did a copy/paste without thinking. Again, thank you so much for your help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back